Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobbin confession

Blog Entries

Angry Bobbin confession

I just have to ask...When you fill your bobbin, Do you stick the thread in the tiny whole on the top of the bobbin & hold it while it winds ? My shame is I just wrap the thread around the bobbin a bit until I can "take off" with it winding away. Sometimes I do it correctly but rarely. I've always done it that way ! do you share my shame ?
    P.Jaco
    OKC, OK
    "Trust your experience"

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I don't share your shame! I was taught to pull the thread thru the little hole and I just do it out of habit now! I've always been afraid my bobbin wouldn't wrap correctly or tight enough if I don't do it.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I used to pull the thread thru the little hole but not anymore. One time I did not get that leader thread cut close to the bobbin and it became tangled in the bobbin case. Since having to clean up that mess, I now wrap it around the bobbin and then wind. So, yes I share your shame.
    Crashnquilt

Wouldn't you like to live with my mind just for a moment? I wish you would, I think I need to get OUT OF IT!

Blog Entries
    I am guilty. there are times when I cannot get the thread through the little hole because I have benign tremors so I do wrap sometimes.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

I never did that . I just wet the end of the thread , so it sticks to the bobbin , wind a few times manually then pop onto the winder.

Here's my confession. My (vintage) machine came with metal bobbins - the kind with four holes in the sides, three large holes and one smaller hole next to the middle that, I assumed, was for putting the thread through prior to winding. One day I was trying to thread it and getting a little frustrated since that little hole is so far from the edge it is hard to hit, when the light went on. Why was I going for the small, far away hole when the larger, closer holes would work just as well? I mean, when the bobbin starts to wind, the thread still wraps around the center - no matter which hole I use, right? I gave myself a dope-slap and have never bothered with that little hole again.

Tate
    King of the Rocketeers!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Sorry, I don't share your shame! I was taught to pull the thread thru the little hole and I just do it out of habit now! I've always been afraid my bobbin wouldn't wrap correctly or tight enough if I don't do it.
    Same here and I hold on to the thread for a bit to make sure it doesn't tangle.

Quote Originally Posted by pjaco View Post
    I just have to ask...When you fill your bobbin, Do you stick the thread in the tiny whole on the top of the bobbin & hold it while it winds ? My shame is I just wrap the thread around the bobbin a bit until I can "take off" with it winding away. Sometimes I do it correctly but rarely. I've always done it that way ! do you share my shame ?

If I did what you do, I'd have the world's nastiest mess on my bobbin. Besides, it's so much easier than trying to wrap the thread.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I've always just wound the thread around the bobbin a couple of times by hand & then started winding using the foot pedal....never had a problem. This thread made me go look at my bobbins for the little hole. Surprise! There is one---guess I'll have to try it from now on.

When I got my new machine last week they told me to wrap. My manual says to wrap, so no more little invisible hole for me!
    Mazda

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast