Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin Winding Help/Question for Machine "Gurus" >

Bobbin Winding Help/Question for Machine "Gurus"

Bobbin Winding Help/Question for Machine "Gurus"

Old 09-18-2014, 02:54 PM

Default Bobbin Winding Help/Question for Machine "Gurus"

I need help from some of the machine experts here on QB.

I own a Janome Model 344 (a European?) inexpensive ($125 or so 5 years ago) machine. It appears that the Balance Wheel/Stop Motion Knob (the large wheel on the right side of machine) no longer "locks" in when I try to wind bobbins. The needle goes up and down and I can't get it to lock in when I wind my bobbins. I have taken to removing the needle and any bobbin I have in the case and just wind away. Am I hurting the machine by doing this? I really can't afford to repair the machine and seeing that it was an inexpensive machine to begin with, I am not sure repairing it is the wise way to go.

I also own a Janome "Heart" machine, but I have never taken it out of the carton...I'm afraid of the computer in it! LOL I may just have to break down and have my DD show me how to use the new machine, but I love, love, love my 344.

So my question...am I doing more damage to the 344 by just winding the bobbins without having the locking mechanism that keeps the needle from going up and down? The bobbins seem to wind fine.

One last thing...the machine sews beautifully. Tension is spot on, stitches are nice and neat, "she" just has this locking in issue.

Thank you for your answers oh wise ones!

Last edited by ILoveToQuilt; 09-18-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 PM

Just buy a little cheap stand-alone bobbin winder if you can't figure out how to fix the machine.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
Just buy a little cheap stand-alone bobbin winder if you can't figure out how to fix the machine.
yes a nice quick fix
Old 09-18-2014, 04:18 PM

You're probably not harming the 344 by letting the needle mechanism work while you wind bobbins, but you're not doing it any favors, either. Essentially you're wearing out the main sewing parts twice as fast by having them work while you wind as well as while you sew.

I think you should get out the new machine. I bet you can just plug it in and sew with it - take it out of the box and see! It probably also uses the same bobbin as your current machine, so if you can figure out it's bobbin winder, you could use it to wind and keep using your 344 to sew.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:09 AM

Thanks for the replies. I hate to give up the "old" gal...Guess I will look into one of the Sidewinders.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:31 AM

I always seem to have problems getting a well wound bobbin with my Bernina Artista 185. I discovered that the dealer and maybe other sources sell pre wound bobbins loaded with white thread. I have also seen them in colors. I also have one of those little bobbin winder machines. While it works, the bobbins are often not wound perfectly. I am the race car driver of sewing and often complete a whole seam before I realize the bobbin ran out just a few stitches after I started.