Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can anyone HELP with this pattern please >

Can anyone HELP with this pattern please

Can anyone HELP with this pattern please

Old 11-13-2014, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

i used a similar idea to make this one http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t191417.html
Old 11-13-2014, 05:03 AM

I was also thinking Stack & Whack
Old 11-13-2014, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Magic Tile is what came to my mine. You might want to check out EB website. She has done things similar with a Simplicity pattern. I took her design and just enlarged it for a charity quilt done with reproduction fabrics.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:11 AM

I have made this pattern several times. But instead of cutting everything, at once and then moving the pieces (which sounds very confusing to me) my directions say to make the first cut and move the first piece to the bottom. Then sew the pieces back together in the order they are in. (you can use the narrow black grouting or not--it is your choice.) Then restack the pieces and make the second cut and the second shuffle etc. I actually made a paper template with lines drawn for the various cuts. It is hard to cut thru so many layers and this way, I could cut half the stack at a time. I just had to be careful to keep them in the correct order in the stack.

My sister made one using animal fabrics and it looked amazing! I have used this pattern as an I spy for baby quilts too.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:24 AM

You are absolutely amazing. This is exactly the pattern I am looking for and yes when I saw the picture of Yadroc I realised that was it. Dittymo thanks a million for the explained pattern. I have the large piece of paper which I had marked with the different cuts to make but couldn't for the life of me remember how I had to move the pieces.

Thanks again to you all.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:55 AM

One of my quilt groups made this as a raffle a few years ago. It came out looking like the one pictured by Yadroc, but without the "grout". We each stacked up 6 fabrics (I think they were 14" squares, but it is the same technique for what ever size you choose.
We made the first cut top to bottom on the right at an angle, then moved 1 fabric from the right to the bottom of the pile. We then sewed the pairs of fabrics back together. Yes, they don't exactly match up, but everything gets squared at the end.
We then made a horizontal cut near the bottom and moved the top 2 fabrics on the smaller piece to the bottom. Then sewed the pieces back together.
Made another vertical cut near the left side and move 3 to the bottom. Sew together.
Make another horizontal cut near the top and move 4 to the bottom. Sew together.
All cuts should NOT be parallel and should not meet each other at a right angle.
Since there are 6 fabrics and 9 patches, you will have duplicate patches in each square.
I often thought that if we started with 9 or more squares there would be no duplicates.
Since there were 8 participants, with different sewing skills, the blocks were varied sizes.
We went through all the squares and found the smallest one and squared it. Then squared all the rest to the same size. I used a 10.5" square and moved it around on each square to get a pleasing look.
Then sewed them all together. It was raffled off, and I never remembered to take a picture. (
Have fun with it! Ann
Old 11-14-2014, 12:20 PM

I have the directions for this at home. PM me if you don't get the directions from this thread. I am at work at the moment and will likely forget by the time my Friday ends.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:19 PM

At the time a group make this pattern, it was called the Crazy nine patch.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:19 PM

Jenny Doan MSQC does a video on double slice and after you cut your stack one stack goes upside down and you never have two blocks the same and then cut again in same manner. Maybe if you watch that video and the quilt is called Double Slice
Old 11-14-2014, 03:54 PM

We called it " Nifty Nines" notice 9 pieces in each sq of that blue quilt that was shown. Google --Nifty Nines