Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone with EQ help me out please? >

Can someone with EQ help me out please?

Can someone with EQ help me out please?

Old 12-31-2014, 04:46 PM

Default Can someone with EQ help me out please?

Hi. Could someone with eq7 (or another version) help me with this please? I need my unfinished size to be 4-1/2" for this block.
I 'x- cut' the black and white pieces from a square but don't remember its size so I don't know how much to enlarge it. The tan triangles are cut diagonally from a square also. If someone would be so kind to help me with the sizes of the 3 squares, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504294[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bwandtan.jpg  
Old 12-31-2014, 06:12 PM

Have you tried drawing it as if it where paper pieced? Often if I struggle I go back to basics... draw it on paper as if it was finished size. Then cut the units and add the seam allowances.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:22 PM

Lori - this is how I do it all the time!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:09 PM

lol no, I hadn't even thought of that! I was too focused on the task at hand that I couldn't see the forrest for the trees! Thanks for the tip - I'll go try this. Appreciate your help
Old 01-01-2015, 05:36 AM

Just did this in EQ7 for my project.

Bottom of triangle is 4 5/8. Sides are 3 3/8. Triangle is 2 5/8 high.

Cut the other triangles out on the Sizzix.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 01-01-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
Just did this in EQ7 for my project.

Bottom of triangle is 4 5/8. Sides are 3 3/8. Triangle is 2 5/8 high.

Cut the other triangles out on the Sizzix.
I am of the mind that having those tools/equipment available is helpful, but knowing how to draft a unit with graph paper is still a good thing.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:25 AM

Why? You can do it in any drafting program, even Gimp or Photoshop. It takes less time on the computer. Not much different if you use a drafting program. All the computer is doing is the math from your measurements, and computers are good at that. You are still using graph paper but it's digital. You don't buy the software to not use it. Gimp and Inkscape are open source programs and free. Whole tutorial on Gimp somewhere on this site.

The pattern instructions sizing was wrong. I cut out the printed template and stuck it on a ruler for a jig. Able to correct the original error. I used EQ7 since it was on the computer I was using. If I was using the Linux box, I would have used Inkscape which would be the electronic graph paper. I'd have the measurements printed out. In this case, I just might enter the size of the triangle and go in reverse. Put the QST back as a square and see what the actual size of the square you were supposed to use, was.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Please check my math with some scrap fabric! Cut squares of black and white fabrics, 5.5". Make 2 half square triangles, and trim them to 5". Cut a taupe 5" square, pair it with one of the B&W HSTs, make a HST, then trim to 4.5"
Old 01-01-2015, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Have you tried drawing it as if it where paper pieced? Often if I struggle I go back to basics... draw it on paper as if it was finished size. Then cut the units and add the seam allowances.
Just draw it as you want the size of the block on EQ and the select paper piecing and be sure to enter the size of the block before you print. It seems to always default to 6".
Old 01-01-2015, 12:07 PM

Wheezy Rider: Not everyone has the program nor the knowledge of how to use them. Your post comes across very condescending, at least in my opinion.