Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't finish my quilts >

Can't finish my quilts

Can't finish my quilts

Old 04-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I, too, had an older sister who was the "best" at everything. She became a teacher and was the best teacher. She taught me to quilt in 1992 but my quilts were never ever as good as hers. She loved me very much and would tell me mine were great. She was wonderful. But I lived in her shadow. In 2003 she died suddenly. I miss her so much. We did everything together. But, one good thing came out of her death. I feel grown up now. I was always the kid sister and was treated that way. Now, I am a grown woman and don't have to be compared to anyone anymore. I'd gladly give this up for my sister back, but there's no way to do that so I am grateful that I grew up, even if it meant having to lose my sister to do it. I don't finish quilts. I do everything except I send them out to be machine quilted and then they sit there forever waiting for me to bind them. I don't enjoy binding quilts. So I have quite a few waiting patiently for me. I might get around to it one day.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:16 PM

Try moving to the United States and see if it gets better.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Huh?
Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
Try moving to the United States and see if it gets better.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:28 PM

I agree with 117becca, maybe it's the thought of all the work ahead, some like the pieceing, some the quilting, some the binding, maybe find some one who enjoys the part you dread. Keep your chin up, some nice warm weather, nice flowers and the peace of summer coming may open your heart again to quilting with a smile. May God Bless You!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:01 PM

Thankyou to everyone who's contributed to this thread over the weekend - I feel very blessed by all your replies, and the deep sharing that some people have done. It's been fascinating to explore the different reasons people have for a reluctance or inability to finish their quilts. So far they've included: practical reasons such as not enjoying quilting or binding; a sadness to see a project finished; perfectionism - finishing means facing the fact that the quilt has imperfections and the disappointment that goes with that; unfinished business from the past; ADD-type procrastination and lack of focus. In my case, I think the last 2 play a part. It really underlines that we're all different, we all have our own struggles and pains with our creative work, our own reasons for the way we proceed. I'm glad I started this thread - I haven't spent the weekend obsessing about it, but it's been around in my mind, and I feel a bit clearer about the reasons for my own reluctance and anxieties around finishing my work. Now, having got it into the open, I can look at ways of overcoming those tendencies in myself.

My virtual guild is a treasured part of my life!
Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 AM

I think we all have a favorite part of the quilting process. I love the shopping and seclecting fabrics. My sister once asked me why I quilt. I told her that the picking of the fabric was the most fun and seeing who it came together in the first couple of blocks was the best part. Maybe you get bored with the project.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by nursie View Post
I think we all have a favorite part of the quilting process. I love the shopping and seclecting fabrics. My sister once asked me why I quilt. I told her that the picking of the fabric was the most fun and seeing who it came together in the first couple of blocks was the best part. Maybe you get bored with the project.
That's certainly an element - I've spent this morning piecing blocks for a baby quilt, and I love seeing it gradually come together. I hate the layering stage because I don't have a large space, so it's always difficult. Quilting has finally become enjoyable now that I have a machine that will do it and am getting a bit more confident thanks to Leah Day's tuition. I hate putting binding on - so far I HAVE always got the ends to join up, but there's always that worry. I don't mind hand sewing the binding. Really hate all the tidying up - burying ends etc. And, yes, am too prone to being distracted by another project before I've finished!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

I think distraction is becoming my middle name! Since being on my sabbatical from paid employment I wander "off the path" too often during the day Lovely wallhanging and your quilting looks great....I am quite shy so would probably never join a group or guild in person....but like you I very much enjoy being part of this board.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 PM

I've also dealt with depression for years & the meds have helped me. Generally speaking, I start off on a project strong but sputter out & get sad about my inability to finish, which just circles around to me not finishing... As for quilts, my favorite part is selecting fabrics & then piecing. I love fabrics. Once I've got it pieced, I sort of lose interest a little though I've been delighted with the final product when I actually do finish something. It's why I do table toppers - they are quick enough & small enough that I stand a fighting chance of finishing!

Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
Perhaps you are suffering from clinical depression. The inability to finish anything is one the signs and symptoms of depression. I have suffered from depression for many years and have been on anti-depressants for years. Perhaps it's time to see your doctor.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:51 AM

Perhaps you should try and find a quilting buddy who has the reverse issue...they love to finish quilts but don't enjoy the piecing. I think it's pretty normal to really enjoy one aspect of quilting and to avoid what we don't enjoy or don't do as well. I love to piece and fmq...Binding is my least favorite thing to do but once I get that close to being finished, I usually just force myself to get it done. Plus I force myself to clean my sewing room up from the previous fabric selections before I start on the next project.