Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't seem to get things right today!!! >

Can't seem to get things right today!!!

Can't seem to get things right today!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 05:19 PM

Did you starch your pieces? Being that hst's have bias sides, a stiff starch will help keep them from stretching & make them much easier to work with!! I starch the fabric until the pieces are like a lightweight cardboard! I hope this helps! I know it can sometimes be frustrating, but hang in there! You'll get better! :-) I did!
Old 04-15-2015, 05:22 PM

What she said... yes, ALL of them!!! Great advice here... and hang in there!!! Trust us... you're a quilter!!!
Old 04-16-2015, 03:50 AM

Thanks for all the great advice.
I could try gluing. I've done that before to match seams. Actually it is supposed to go on a stand. So I could just glue the whole thing together. Ha
I could try thinner thread. I've never done that before. What about serger thread? Is that a good weight? I have huge spools of that.
I didn't think about the fact that the HST's could have bias edges at this point. Starch? Hmm. Never found one that doesn't stink me out. So I haven't starched.
I've learned that picking a small project isn't necessarily an easy project. Seems it can be harder and as much work as a whole bed quilt.
Fortunately it was only $15 for the kit. And there is a lot of 30's fabrics leftover. Any great patterns out there for 30's fabrics?
SVAL
Old 04-16-2015, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
I discovered once, when the same thing was happening to me, that my fabric was 'drifting' to the left as I sewed a seam. The seam started out as being 1/4 inch, but then at the end of every piece, it was much narrower. This caused the curvy thing. I have learned to use my left finger as a guide to try to keep the fabric straight, especially when sewing HST's. Some people use stilettos for this.
I've always had trouble with the "drifting" thing. My seam is seldom the correct width at the end. So I use a stiletto to hold the fabrics together until the bitter end. And sew slowly and carefully.

Good Luck.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:56 AM

Thank you to everyone who offered advice. Today is a better day and I'm conquering it.
I tried the glue at first. But then found I wanted to press the seams open to reduce the bulk. So went back to no pins and no glue. Just a leader. I worked hard to find just the right seam allowance.
So it's going well.
SVAL
Old 04-16-2015, 06:33 AM

I like Jan's idea. It really works.I think it is important to not make too many units of anything until you have made the square or unit completely. Then, you can adjust before moving on. It is disheartening to have to redo lots of units over a small error in cutting or stitching. Sew slowly.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Thank you to everyone who offered advice. Today is a better day and I'm conquering it.
I tried the glue at first. But then found I wanted to press the seams open to reduce the bulk. So went back to no pins and no glue. Just a leader. I worked hard to find just the right seam allowance.
So it's going well.
SVAL
I'm so happy to read that it's gong well today. How very frustrating to think you're doing everything correctly and still not get the results you strive for. All the tips are good and I use them often. I just want to add that this is a great site and we have lots of great helpful people here, as well as a great bunch of excellent quilters.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:17 AM

Glad to hear that it's going better. Lots of good tips!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:19 PM

So glad to hear things are going better for you today & to tell you not to give up. Every quilter has days like you have had. It is just best to walk away from it a day or two & then go for it again. You can always vent here. We are happy to listen & help whenever we can.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Some days the universe/fabric/design/gremlins/your first cousins just want you to do something else.
Thumb your nose at them, head off in another pleasureable direction: go buy fabric, eat lunch out, visit your best friend, go to a movie, change the decor in your bedroom, sit outside in the sun and read a great book, cut coupons....anything that will distract you happily and tell the first part that it isn't in charge of your day! Tomorrow is a new one.

Jan in VA
love your advice jan.............perfect!