Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't seem to get things right today!!! >

Can't seem to get things right today!!!

Can't seem to get things right today!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 AM

Angry Can't seem to get things right today!!!

I needed to trim a gazillion 1.5 inch squares. So I invested in a BlocLoc Ruler. Which is fabulous,by the way.
All my HST's are perfect.
I start to sew them together. First seam. Off. How can that be? Both HST's were perfect. How could one seam throw them off?
So I trim again. And sew the 3rd block on. Now I have a curvish piece. So now the misbehaving HST's are all in a bag in the drawer.
Drove me to tears.
Not sure I'm a quilter after all.
SVAL
Old 04-15-2015, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Is that finished? I sometimes revert to videos on You Tube. Jenny doan has good videos at MSQC.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

When I first started piecing I was taught to sew very very slow. One stitch at a time slow. My small pieces were sewn with precision and matched perfectly. I still sew very slow when I'm doing a stubborn piecing job.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:28 AM

Wish I had answers, but not that they are in the drawer, have some chocolate, dig out some other fabric and make something to boost your spirits and renew your love of quilting.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
Wish I had answers, but not that they are in the drawer, have some chocolate, dig out some other fabric and make something to boost your spirits and renew your love of quilting.
that's the problem, I don't have anything else I'm working on right now. I was working on that beast in between things. I am searching for inspiration for two things. and just haven't found it. So I"m a lost quilter w/o a project.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:45 AM

could it be stretching when you press? do you use a lot of steam?
Old 04-15-2015, 08:56 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Some days the universe/fabric/design/gremlins/your first cousins just want you to do something else.
Thumb your nose at them, head off in another pleasureable direction: go buy fabric, eat lunch out, visit your best friend, go to a movie, change the decor in your bedroom, sit outside in the sun and read a great book, cut coupons....anything that will distract you happily and tell the first part that it isn't in charge of your day! Tomorrow is a new one.

Jan in VA
Old 04-15-2015, 09:23 AM

I discovered once, when the same thing was happening to me, that my fabric was 'drifting' to the left as I sewed a seam. The seam started out as being 1/4 inch, but then at the end of every piece, it was much narrower. This caused the curvy thing. I have learned to use my left finger as a guide to try to keep the fabric straight, especially when sewing HST's. Some people use stilettos for this.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Are your seams pressed in opposite directions so they nest? With smaller patches I find this is important. Also, even though the patches are only 1.5", if I'm having trouble, I pin both the leading and trailing edges. And last but not least, take a minute to double check your seam allowance:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
I am planning on spending the afternoon squaring up some 1.5" HST with my blocloc. However, I only have to do a million, not a gazillion
Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 AM

Some times you have to put it up and come back to it. I'm sorry you are so frustrated with your quilt last night I had to fix another mistake that I had made on my quilt. I thought to my self really know what do I do. I would maybe work on another project.