Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't seem to get things right today!!! >

Can't seem to get things right today!!!

Can't seem to get things right today!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Some days the universe/fabric/design/gremlins/your first cousins just want you to do something else.
Thumb your nose at them, head off in another pleasureable direction: go buy fabric, eat lunch out, visit your best friend, go to a movie, change the decor in your bedroom, sit outside in the sun and read a great book, cut coupons....anything that will distract you happily and tell the first part that it isn't in charge of your day! Tomorrow is a new one.

Jan in VA
Exactly! Love your outlook! Some days you just have to walk away ... not give up ... but just walk away for awhile.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:37 PM

Understand that a 1.5" patch is really small. It only takes being off by a thread or two to make a huge impact on your sizes. You might consider working on a larger piece for a little while.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:44 PM

Do you have bias edges? I am always off with those. If you do, starch the bejeebus out of them and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, GLUE the dang things with some Elmer's, press it dry, and sew it!

I was having a terrible time with a stack & whack and glue was the only way I got through that quilt.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

Some days the universe/fabric/design/gremlins/your first cousins just want you to do something else.
Thumb your nose at them, head off in another pleasureable direction: go buy fabric, eat lunch out, visit your best friend, go to a movie, change the decor in your bedroom, sit outside in the sun and read a great book, cut coupons....anything that will distract you happily and tell the first part that it isn't in charge of your day! Tomorrow is a new one.

Jan in VA
Great advice, as usual, Jan!! Wish we had a "like" button on this board!!!!!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:26 PM

I found that starching the fabric, a lot, before cutting and then again when pressing them after they are sewn together really helped with the 1 and 1/2 blocks that I made. I mean they went from being way off to fitting together almost perfectly. Too late for you for the cutting part, I know. I also use a relatively fine thread, Aurifil 50 for piecing. You've gotten some good advice here, so don't give up. Every quilt and almost every block is a learning experience for me or that's how I try to look at it, anyway. You will find the method that works best for you eventually
Old 04-15-2015, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

On those days, slow down your sewing speed, mark the line to stitch on. I prefer to make my HST oversize so I can correct any problems before trimming. Sometimes pressing aggressively will wonk the block. So many mistakes can be made when you are disable so I always take things slow. When you are ready to try again, then try again. Analyze where you made your error.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:55 PM

Jan in VA
I agree with Jan. Sometimes you just have to walk away from it for a while. I like the Bloc=Loc rulers, too, although I put them away so well, I can't find them right now.

However I can commiserate with you, I had some strips that I stitched together recently for a BOM Mystery quilt and when I was getting ready to cut them in subsections, I realized they weren't coming out the right width as required in the pattern (luckily, I hadn't started cutting anything but the selvages) . I left them for a couple of days, and ended up getting friendly with my seam ripper for two nights while watching TV, because it turned out my seams weren't as accurate as I needed in order for the pieces to come out. So I readjusted my 1/4" seam on my machine, resewed them together, and am now getting ready to try it again.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:10 PM

I am SO sorry that you've been frustrated with this project.
Have you tried the method that uses light weight fusible interfacing....you fuse the squares right side up onto that....then fold and sew. It works great with small pieces. I've used this method for years and love the results.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

You may try to lighten the presser foot a little. And a fine thread (50wt) like Aurifil. Sew the patches together by alternating the direction you are sewing them, sew the first two pieces north to south and the next one south to north by flipping the pieces. alternating helps to reduce curving and stretching. Be gentle and slow.

Pressing can cause both these problems too. Be gentle and slow.

another helpful tool, starch.peace
Old 04-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sharonquilts View Post
Exactly! Love your outlook! Some days you just have to walk away ... not give up ... but just walk away for awhile.
Jan, you rock the house again!
peace