Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity work >

Charity work

Charity work

Old 03-10-2017, 12:23 PM

I agree with NJ Quilter...Quilts For Kids is a great option. On their website you can order kits and just pay shipping to have the fabric and pattern sent to your home. You supply the batting, thread and time. Then mail them back when you are done. I did that for a year so..... and in June 2016 I started my own chapter
Old 03-11-2017, 06:15 AM

Check with your local Humane Society and/or rescue facilities. If you check with nursing homes and such, make sure you ask them about what they do with the quilts if the resident dies. Our nursing home here if the resident dies and the family doesn't want the quilt, they toss it in the trash, even though the quilt wasn't made for a particular person, so needless to say, I don't make any for our local nursing home, but I do make pet beds and donate them to our Humane Society, and I also make 2 quilts a year for them to raffle/auction off at their fundraising events.

Some have mentioned police and fire departments, and the group that I belonged to, did give our police/fire departments several quilts along with stuffed animals, only to find out that they never gave them out, so we nixed that idea, so just a word of caution, make sure they'll give them out when needed.

Last edited by pocoellie; 03-11-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:12 AM

Most all of my quilts are donated or gifted, and I love each and every quilt I make. One of the things I have done for myself, (idea is courtesy of a quilting friend) is to photograph every project I make. I have a scrapbook (my art teacher would have called it my portfolio) that I put them in, and every once in a while I take a look at what I've accomplished, and am a little surprised at what I've accomplished and forgotten. It is wonderful to give stuff away, and also wonderful to pat myself on the back once in a while!
Old 03-11-2017, 07:00 PM

I am with a Miniature Pinscher rescue and we have a quilt raffle every year. We would love to have your help. You can send me a private message for more info if you would like. We are in the process of making some now. Last year we raised almost $7000 for our homeless Minpins.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:10 AM

Nursing homes, local hospice, children's hospital. Check your local organizations if they are interested. I'm sure they would be thrilled.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

There was a recent topic here about charities and I can't find it now but one that was mentioned was the Friends of Pine Ridge Indian reservation.

https://friendsofpineridgereservatio.../donate-goods/
Old 06-09-2017, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

our local cancer treatment center always needs quilts
Old 06-09-2017, 09:35 AM

Another idea if you like doing something for the pet shelters: http://www.quiltpatternmagazine.com/...m/KennelQuilt/ They also have an active Facebook group. The kennel quilts are very quick to make and offer good opportunity to use us scraps. I have done almost 2 doz. Half went to a Catholic shelter in SC (who sent me a very nice thank you) and recently to the Missouri Humane Society shelter in St Louis.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:36 AM

Hi Chickadee,

I'm in WI, too, and our guild does donate to the Humane Society, as well as quilts for Vets. If you contact the Humane Society in Waupaca, I bet they will take them, happily! If not, please let me know. I get through your area often and would be more than willing to get your quilts to ours!

No doubt you are doing a great thing, and your goodies will be well received regardless of where you send them
Hugs!
red