Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing Room Idea

Sewing Room Idea

Some of use lack space for a sewing room because we do not have the space for one. I got to thinking the other day about this as I was looking out of the window from my parents house. There in their back yard by the enclosed lean tube of the barn was their 35 foot travel trailer not being used anymore. It still had the electric still hook up. I got to thinking sewing room.

Now maybe some of you have a travel trailer or fifth wheel sitting in your yard not dong anything.

Excellent idea!!! We don't have one but I do have a sewing room in our spare bedroom in the house. Gosh, a travel trailer/RV is perfect for a sewing studio....equipped with bathroom, kitchen, etc. You are brilliant!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-18-2017 at 01:12 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS

What a great idea! Makes me wish I did have a travel trailer/RV.
    As much as I hate it, my seam ripper is my best friend.

one of the ladies I quilt with has a trailer on her property, was sitting empty after her Mom passed. She turned it into her quilting/sewing "cave" complete with her longarm and a huge stash of fabric. has everything she needs when she needs to get away from day to day stresses.
    I think you could be very happy using this travel trailer as your quilting/sewing room.

Sounds like a great idea. I have a garden shed that I have been thinking of upgrading to a newer, insulated model.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

That would certainly give new meaning to the term "Recreational Vehicle"!

Blog Entries
    great idea for a 'wasted' space. i had a friend who lived in a trailer home, and had a screened in room out in her yard. she would bring a heater out in the winter and sew there. in the summer, it was perfectly shaded and we had the screens.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    sounds like a great use for a space just sitting there.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Sounds perfect! If it has running water and a bathroom, you are set!!! Quilt retreats in your own backyard!!!!

Perfect use of space. There is no reason not to do it. I would not fret about a bathroom because you can always get a bit of exercise by going to the house for that facility. The stored trailer probably does not have a septic hook-up. My sewing room is in the basement (and there is a bathroom down here);but, I go up and down the stairs to use the bathroom upstairs for the exercise it takes for the journey.

Blog Entries
    Oh how I wish I had one! I know a lady that has a really old one and it is her adorable sewing room!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Great idea! A get-away personal retreat area!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    A home away from home. Great idea.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    *** Would love that, but no travel trailer -or- motor home.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I love that idea.

Blog Entries
    I've always taken my sewing machine and supplies with me when using our RV for camping/travel. But gave up RVing last summer. Wish I had thought of using it as strictly a sewing room before we sold it!

pal
    We have a wonderful screen room (like a tent with netting sides) that we put up and take down with the seasons. I bring my sewing machine out there and sew on a huge table that my husband made. What an absolute joy to sew outdoors! - well worth the hassle of carting everything in and out each time.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

For your information about the camper bathroom, they make portable RV waste totes, called maybe a black water tote. We have one and they hook up to the trailer hitch on your truck or car. You just hook up the line from your camper to this portable tote and then take it to a camper place, state park or even some gas stations like Flying J to empty it for a small fee.

Sounds like a great idea. We have a 12 x 60 old mobile we have been renting for a long time, last tenant did some damage and was selling drugs, had drug people on and off property and police a number to times too, all on our fenced 5 acres, upset the dogs, left gates open with my horse running loose and pretty sure that is not all she was selling (herself). Had her evicted and not going to rent it again. Going to clean it up, fix damage and start buying used furniture for a guest house/SEWING SPACE for me. Our mobile is not that big and very full so this will be wonderful. The rent is not worth the H this woman put us through for the last year and trash she brought to our home. Sad because people here need reasonable priced homes to rent and someone like her ruins it.
    Enjoy you new sewing space. And happy sewing.

That is an awesome idea!!! Have a great time!!!
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

I love this idea. There are some really cute sewing campers out there that you can find photos of on the internet. We spend part of the year in a little cottage and need some more storage. We have a solid little building we call a boathouse and have been talking about adding a second story. I would love to use part of it for a sewing retreat. I have no idea how much it would cost to do it.