Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheaper by width

DH and I were talking. I had bought quilt backing 108 in. I purchased 4 yrds.
    DH who is very good with figures said to me, perhaps you would be better off buying your fabric that you need with the width of 108 in, you would need less yardage and it would cost less then yds of 45 inches.
    Do you think that is a good idea??

Blog Entries
    If I am buying wide fabric I do this. I also turn the batting whichever direction saves on yardage.

I haven't worked with wide fabric yet. I'll be watching the responses here, though. You've got me curious!

Oh,and a lot of the fabric I've purchased lately isn't 45 inches wide any more.

Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    DH who is very good with figures said to me, perhaps you would be better off buying your fabric that you need with the width of 108 in, you would need less yardage and it would cost less then yds of 45 inches.
    Yes, except for the limited selection.

Has anyone seen batiks in 108?

I think Sew Batik has them. Some long armers sell it. I've seen their fabric at quilt shows and it's beautiful.

i had a 50% off coupon and the only fabric that was not on sale was this 108" backing so i bought it thinking it would come in handy some day. i, also, realized that the price was the same as the 45" fabric. i had never bought the wide fabric for backing before and i thought the same thing. however, the selection was very minimal.

Blog Entries
    Hancocks of Paducah has the wide batik fabric - think it was about $20 per yard - twice what the regular width fabric was - it was $10 per yard.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    Yes, except for the limited selection.

Has anyone seen batiks in 108?

think Connecting threads has a fair selection, not just neutrals

DH and I have had this discussion before as well.... and as one stated above... the down side to this is the limited selection of patterns/prints

but otherise. normallyit does figure out cheaper to buy it in a wider width.

Blog Entries
    I have purchased wide backing fabric several times for just that reason! (Math has always been a passion of mine!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast