Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chemotherapy quilt? >

Chemotherapy quilt?

Chemotherapy quilt?

Old 12-29-2016, 05:29 PM

I was always cold while receiving chemo. Something to cover the shoulders and down to feet. To me would not matter on colors. Just to be wrapped in love from the person who took the time to make it.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:30 PM

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer it was less than 30 days from mammogram to chemo - so if you don't have time to make a quilt, a nice soft fleece throw is good too. One will fit in a bag easily and some snacks or room for a sandwich and drink is nice too. My chemo lasted 4-5 hours. The IV does not make you sick - that comes 2 days later - so you do get hungry waiting for it to end. (No one told me about it before so my first IV besides being scary I was hungry and couldn't wait to get home for something to eat.)
Old 12-29-2016, 06:04 PM

When my friend had chemo, she like the blankets with the minky fabric on the back - she loved the feel and the warmth it gave her.
Positive thoughts to your friend!
Old 12-29-2016, 07:15 PM

I would make a cheap and warm fleece throw to use during treatments and work on a beautiful healing/survivor quilt for afterward to celebrate the end of her treatments. That way, your quilt will be associated with your confidence in her getting stronger and not with being sick. And if she doesn't want to see the throw again, she can chop it into dust rags with satisfaction and without feeling guilty.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 12-29-2016, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
I would make a cheap and warm fleece throw to use during treatments and work on a beautiful healing/survivor quilt for afterward to celebrate the end of her treatments. That way, your quilt will be associated with your confidence in her getting stronger and not with being sick. And if she doesn't want to see the throw again, she can chop it into dust rags with satisfaction and without feeling guilty.

hugs,
Charlotte
I've not been in this situation myself of close to anyone who has (thankfully) but I really like this idea. Gives you time to make a quilt she would like and not have any negative connotations. And thank you for doing this. I'm sure your friend will be truly grateful and appreciative.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:49 PM

The first one I made was for my friend Renee'. It was a surprise and I went with the colors in her home decor . Warm Wishes pattern, Warm and Natural batting, golden flannel backing. She LOVES it and said it was perfect to cover her up from over the shoulders to below her feet. She liked how it fit her hospital bed. She did NOT want pink (that much I knew ahead of time).

However, the one I'm working on now is for a friend, Donna. I decided to outright ask her color choice, since I don't know her as well. She said, "For ME? You want to make a quilt for ME? I'm crying I'm so happy to think you'd do that for me!" So the THOUGHT was obviously most touching to her. I had to ask again about color. She said, "Well, since it's for breast cancer, how about various shades of pink?" (And her daughter informed me that her favorite shade is fuschia.)

Donna is taller than Renee', so I adjusted accordingly. But I've used W&N batting, and am using flannel because Renee' said it was perfect when she was cold.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:42 PM

Thank you all for your great advice and insight!
Old 12-29-2016, 11:17 PM

My dad died of cancer. He couldn't tolerate a heavy quilt weighing on his legs and feet, so I used a wool batting, which is both warm and lightweight.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:04 AM

I have had two different cancers and made myself cheerful quilts. I DO NOT want any in pink. I love pink but since my breast cancer I just cannot stand the pink for cancer. Just my feeling but that is one others share
Old 12-30-2016, 06:52 AM

NO pink or ribbons for me either! A nice size lap quilt with a carrying tote is great!