Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choosing & placing colours in Storm at Sea quilt >

Choosing & placing colours in Storm at Sea quilt

Choosing & placing colours in Storm at Sea quilt

Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 AM

If the white is a color you're adding, and not one that your friend requested, I think there's way too much of it in that arrangement (the one pictured by btiny36). Personally, I wouldn't use any white at all, just stick with several different values of the aqua and grey/brown. It'll look much more fluid.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:01 AM

I have to agree with ghostrider too much white. Here is placing aqua and brown diff and reverse [ATTACH=CONFIG]425025[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]425026[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails diff-color2.jpg   diff-color.jpg  
Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]425027[/ATTACH]
Sorry posted same pic sheeish
Attached Thumbnails diff-color2.jpg  
Old 07-21-2013, 09:14 AM

Okay, I think I have figured out how to upload the picture I did in EQ7. Hopefully it works.
Attached Thumbnails storm-sea-2.jpg  
Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 AM

I would go with the darker tones for the 'curve' pieces, to represent the waves. I would also use the single sash block (the basic one) and not the double sashed block. It is way more fluid looking and is the original intent of the pattern.

Pics for comparison, and, though not in the colors requested, the values depict waves and motion.

Top one is double sashed (looks very boxy)

Bottom one is single sashed except on the edges

Depending on how dear this old friend is, you could do one of the heart outlines in a slightly different shade from the others so it very subtly shows.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

when I was trying to decide what to put where on my storm at sea I printed off about 5 different line-drawings of the block- then using colored pencils colored each block with a different color layout- then chose the one I liked best...
Old 07-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Gay

Thank you, all, for your helpful tips and comments, and the images. Have noticed they only have 3 or 4 colours in each which is beaut, and I will save them all for reference. First I have to finish my DGDs quilt, which is another puzzle to be solved-as-I-go. Will try to post the photo when finished. My friend & I lived opposite each other since 6 yrs old, we're now 67, and have kept in touch over distances and time. She doesn't sew, and what else will I do with all these quilts on my to-do list but store them in the cupboard?

'ave a good day everyone
Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I've promised a dear old friend a quilt for her bed, she has chosen aqua and grey/brown [not a lot of fabric around in those colours eh?] and I would add white. My problem is selecting which shades of colours should go where. I want to emphasise the flowing water-like pattern rather than the central blocks. Can any of you lovely ladies, or gentlemen, advise me of the best placement of colour shades to place where, or know of a website that would show this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Gay
Google "storm at sea quilt" One of the first entries will read like this-------------
Images for storm at sea quilt - Report images

There are bunche of photos. I much prefer the tranditonal white, med. blue and dark blue, with just one wave.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I would go with the darker tones for the 'curve' pieces, to represent the waves. I would also use the single sash block (the basic one) and not the double sashed block. It is way more fluid looking and is the original intent of the pattern.

Pics for comparison, and, though not in the colors requested, the values depict waves and motion.

Top one is double sashed (looks very boxy)

Bottom one is single sashed except on the edges

Depending on how dear this old friend is, you could do one of the heart outlines in a slightly different shade from the others so it very subtly shows.
I agree with ghostrider about the single sashing. The double loses the "storm". I also like white or at least a lot lighter "light" color.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 AM

Anytime I have a problem like this, I have to remember that crayons are our friends. Make a few copies of the pattern and experiment with different coloring. Storm at Sea is one of my favorite patterns because it can come out so many ways. Don't forget that it is not against the rules to put the same color in adjacent squares. You can also vary the look a bit by making the outside squares wider or narrower.