Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
coats/coats & clark thread >

coats/coats & clark thread

coats/coats & clark thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Default coats/coats & clark thread

I have read seversl posts from members stating that their machines perform badly when using c&c thread.

ALL my machines are okay with it - but all of my machines are older, from a 1950 necchi to a 1986 pfaff.

Is it something about the newer machines ? If so, what is it?

I am not saying c& c thread is "the best" - but my machines sew decently with it. Even stitches, no breakage, no snarling. When there were problems, the machine had gone out of adjustment. It was what was easily available (and what I knew about at the time).

I have come across " weak thread" - in cotton, cotton-poly, and polyester - from several brands - that was old or had been stored in unfriendly conditions.

I have also come across " old" thread that still seems to be "strong" -some of which appears to be "an inexpensive" brand.

So, because I have not had some of those problems, I am wondering what the causes might be?

(The thought that the dealerships may be trying to sell a more expensive thread has crossed my mind.)
Old 11-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I have a Brother SQ9000 that is just four years old. I have not had a problem with Coats. I have heard people say that sometimes it could be the size of the needle. If I ever do have it misbehave, I will try a larger needle.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:51 AM

I don't know about all of my machines but my Bernina Record 1975 machine does not like new Coats and Clark thread. I noticed it was manufactured in Mexico. I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not. I just know the effect is consistent with this particular machine every time. So, I don't use it on that machine.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:55 AM

I have used C&C for many years, and when I got my TOL embroidery machine, I purchased some for it as well. I use many different brands, never had one specific brand give me any problems. I have run into a single color (or spool??). that I just wanted to throw out the window (better than throwing out the machine) so eventually trashed after many tries to see if it was just operator error. I think some people, with some machines, express an opinion and it goes viral. Other folks, with the same machine, have no problem. They may not be as vocal! I think you have to use what works for you...I try lots of things, use what works, discard what doesn't and go on my merry way, blissfully unaware that it wasn't supposed to work at all. Just me.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

All of my ten machines have no problem with the newer Coats and Clark. Most of the machines are vintage and the others are basic mechanical Brother machines -Walmart/Costco -and they are not fussy about anything. I like the cotton but have used the stuff that is poly cotton too.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I have use C&C all my life on both my machines. Most of the thread that came with the 401 was C &C. I have gotten some of the spools in the globes near checkouts for $1.00 and they hold up well. No problems so far!
Old 11-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

I have an older Bernina 1530 and when I do use C&C, I always need to adjust the tension and find it very linty.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:23 AM

I have a 10+ year old computerized Viking. It does not mind any thread I throw at it in any way, shape or form. I have new thread; old thread; 'good' thread; 'bad' thread. It doesn't care. So I use what I have in whatever color works for the given project at hand.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:21 AM

My machine isn't thread-picky either. It's a 2 year old Janome 6600, so fully computerized, "modern" machine. I have yet to find thread it doesn't like. Ditto for my travel machine, Janome 3160QDC; another modern computerized machine.

I don't like C&C just because I think it's way overpriced. Connecting Threads cotton spools are (IMO) roughly equivalent quality, a single spool is priced almost the same as a spool of C&C at Joann's but it has much, much, much more thread on the spool. I did the math at one point and according to my figures, a spool of C&C costs about the same per yard as Aurifil! Plus there's so little on the spool, it runs out too fast for my taste.

I still have a few dozen spools of C&C I'm slowly using up, no problems with any of it. I just don't really like it.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:32 AM

I have a 306 W and a "newer" Viking about 21 years old both machines will work with any thread I put on it. It would make me a bit "nuttzy" to have a fussy machine.