Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
coats/coats & clark thread >

coats/coats & clark thread

coats/coats & clark thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Banned

I think the biggest complaint I've seen about C&C thread is the amount of lint it produces. I have several large spools of it I bought years ago before I found Connecting threads. The C&C works fine in all my machines but as I use it up I replace it with CT thread because I like the price much better. My machines run from 1950s vintage all the way up to current models, low end and higher end.

Cari
Old 11-28-2014, 01:38 PM

I use C&C in my new machines just fine, never had a problem with it
Old 11-28-2014, 04:21 PM

As a sewing machine mechanic, I have to say that I can't get good stitch quality with C & C. When it's in the bobbin, and you pull the thread, you can feel a vibration. If you're familiar with Tessla's Earthquake machine, it works with the theory of resonance. That's what comes to mind when I pull the thread, and it makes such a vibration. It's like it has so much vibration, that it has a mind of it's own. Good thread needs to bend to the will of the sewing machine. Similarly, when you try to use "Hand Quilting" thread in your machine, it's got a mind of it's own. It's like feeding wire through your machine -- there's no way you can get a good stitch quality. Yet people go ahead and use it any way.

My job is to get your machine to have it's best stitch quality. When I sew-off machines at work, we use Metler Silk-finish 100% cotton thread on top, and Guterman 100% cotton on the bottom. I cannot get a good stitch quality with C & C. If a customer has C & C on their machine, I sometimes try to adjust the machine to it. But usually I'll pull it out, and use my own thread, because it really does make a difference.

I just wanted to add, that the old C & C poly/cotton, actually does better than the NEW C & C 100% Poly.

Last edited by quiltedsunshine; 11-28-2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: forgot someting...
Old 11-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

It doesn't matter to me if my machine like it or not, C&C thread is very expensive compared to the amount of thread on a spool to the amount of top brand name thread on a spool. You rarely see C&C in quilt shops not because it's not okay thread but because of the price to stock it.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I have a 10+ year old computerized Viking. It does not mind any thread I throw at it in any way, shape or form. I have new thread; old thread; 'good' thread; 'bad' thread. It doesn't care. So I use what I have in whatever color works for the given project at hand.
A good bit of what I have in my thread stash belonged to my mother and is at least 40 years old. Some of it is American brand, some Coats and Clarks and some does not even have brand name on it. Most of it is still good
thread. If it breaks when I pull on it, I empty the spool--they are all old enough to be wood--and go to the next spool. My Janome, my more than 50 year old Kenmore and my 60+ year old Singer sew with whatever I put in the needle. I always change the needle if a problem with thread develops and that always solves the problem. I can't afford a picky sewing machine--I have two Yorkies who require special diets. froggyintexas
Old 11-28-2014, 07:58 PM

I have a 2-year old and a 3-year old Brother and neither has an issue with Coats and Clark thread. Haven't noticed any lint problems either.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:05 PM

My new Janome works well with inexpensive spool thread but not Guterman or Sulky unless I use a larger needle even then I have a problem with it constantly coming unthreaded .
Old 11-28-2014, 08:50 PM

It always works fine in my machines.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:08 AM

I have a Baby Lock & a Brother embroidery/sewing machine & so far I have never had any trouble using Coats & Clark thread. I use that brand a lot, but I do prefer Gueterrmann's thread above all!!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:50 AM

Hand quilting thread should NOT be used in a machine...not because it "doesn't bend" but because it's waxed and can gum up the innards of the machine.........

I have Viking, BL, Brother, and Singers...new and FW...all will work with any thread I use with it.....there are adjustments on machines to be used to make a good stitch, and needle sizes to do the same thing depending on fabric used and threads used.....it is not rocket science, but some adjustments are necessary with some projects...and of course the dreaded four letter word......LINT.......just like dust bunnies under the bed!!!!!!!!