Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Corduroy anyone? >

Corduroy anyone?

Corduroy anyone?

Old 10-15-2014, 10:18 AM

Default Corduroy anyone?

So, I woke up with an idea for a quilt in mind ... how cool is that? I have this idea to incorporate some bits of corduroy into a quilt. Have any of you used corduroy in a quilt? I need small pieces. Have any of you seen precut corduroy? I'm thinking a charm pack or perhaps 10" squares would be perfect. What do you think?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltedCritterLady View Post
So, I woke up with an idea for a quilt in mind ... how cool is that? I have this idea to incorporate some bits of corduroy into a quilt. Have any of you used corduroy in a quilt? I need small pieces. Have any of you seen precut corduroy? I'm thinking a charm pack or perhaps 10" squares would be perfect. What do you think?
I doubt you'll ever find precut corduroy. I love it, bu the cut edges shed.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 AM

Corduroy makes a heavy quilt. I've used it in quilts for dogs where I used 1/2" or larger seams ... and I made one rag quilt with corduroy but it didn't work out so well because the edges didn't ravel like cotton or denim. But give it a try; your idea may turn out better than my experience.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:33 AM

You are "on trend" with using texture in quilts. check out this book.... "Uncommonly Corduroy" quilt / project book. There are some very nice 21Wale corduroy in the marketplace, IF you can find it. Windham has some as well as Camelot Cottons. Great colors, lightweight, soft. I have seen it.
sandy
Old 10-15-2014, 11:06 AM

My DM did one, a crazy quilt. It was heavy but beautiful.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:15 AM

I've used corduroy. I serged the edges of it first, was very soft and nice I thought.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I had some corduroy and cut it in large squares. ten inches I think. then cut some cotton squares and put into a rag quilt. looked great!
Old 10-15-2014, 11:28 AM

I used it for a floor quilt when my sons were little. I used the scraps from my husband and the boys trousers. Mostly blues.
What a mess making it though It's worse than velvet, and even zigzagging (serger ? who had a serger thirty years ago ??) all the raw edges only kept it from ravelling back, not from losing all the cut pile bits, that shed over everything. I had to constantly de-oose the trap under the feed dogs on my sewing machine.

The end result was very, very good though It was heavy, but warm (never mind the floor, the boys claimed it as a quilt for snuggling up under on the sofa) soft and very comfortable.

It washed and tumbled dried very well too. Forget fancy quilting; all I could manage to get through it was plain in the ditch of the cords. I had backed it with a old woollen blanket (pure new wool though, so it didn't shrink when washed) and a layer of blue flannel sheeting.

I used some green pieces for Christmas ornaments. Best advice is to look for fine wale corduroy; I can buy it in four different thicknesses of the wales in our local fabric shop. The fine stuff works really well for the ornaments. It gives a good texture to pieces.

M
Old 10-15-2014, 11:47 AM

I used it in my first quilt - a baby quilt with 4" pieces sewn into 4-patch blocks - one piece a heavy velveteen wide-wale corduroy, one piece poly-something satin that has fuzzy fake flannel on the back, one piece poly fleecey blanket stuff and one regular cotton. They were surrounded by big 3-part sashings with nine-patches at the corners.
I didn't know any better!!!
But it worked out fine and wasn't too difficult to work with compared to the satin.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I used it in my first quilt - a baby quilt with 4" pieces sewn into 4-patch blocks - one piece a heavy velveteen wide-wale corduroy, one piece poly-something satin that has fuzzy fake flannel on the back, one piece poly fleecey blanket stuff and one regular cotton. They were surrounded by big 3-part sashings with nine-patches at the corners.
I didn't know any better!!!
But it worked out fine and wasn't too difficult to work with compared to the satin.
Sometimes one gets some great results when one does not know any better! :-)