Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Corduroy in quilts >

Corduroy in quilts

Corduroy in quilts

Old 11-26-2013, 04:22 AM

Default Corduroy in quilts

I've always loved the texture of corduroy. Yesterday, I found two 3/4 yd. matching cuts in the scrap bin at Joann's. Had to have them....a dark rich fall print. So now I am curious if any of you have incorporated corduroy in a quilt. If so, any special tips? I read you are to press lightly from the wrong side with the right side facing down on a towel.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:10 AM

I would suggest that you use a pattern that is very simple. One that I want to try using corderoy looks like a cathedral window but so much easier. For each block you cut two circles, one front, one back, then a square of batting to fit inside the circle. If you use a flannel for the backing, you could do without the batting square since it will be warm enough with the flannel. Sew around the circle, right sides together. Cut a slit in the fabric that will be the center fabric and turn right side to. Fold the edges so that you have a square with the round edges making a cathedral window "border" toward the center of the feature fabric, hiding the slit in the fold. I know that these directions are sketchy. But you get the idea. Sew the blocks together in rows along the fold line.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I use corduroy in rag quilts all the time, because it frays well and has such an interesting texture. I'm not sure about using it in regular piecing. There are different weights of corduroy, and some are thicker and fray more easily than quilting cottons.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I have seen quilts with denim and corduroy and were so comfy. Just don't hear much anymore about corduroy being used. Will have to check scrap bin out more.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:25 AM

I made a reversible corduroy quilt for a friend. Used random 8" squares of various colors, weights and wale widths on both sides. No batting. Tied with variegated ribbon at the corner intersections.
Be sure to use a wider seam width. 1/2" works, 1/4" doesn't!
Very heavy, but warm. She says its great for cold weather camping and for snuggling any time.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:28 AM

Back in the 70's I made a simple tied quilt of corduroy out of 6 inch squares. It was heavy and very warm. My daughter had it on her bed for years. As others have said, simple is probably the key. I like the idea of using it in a rag quilt, it has that same comfy feel of flannel, just heavier. Oh, and unless you live in the Arctic batting is probably not necessary.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:31 AM

Oh, yes, I use corduroy all of the time.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t216454.html

This was corduroy quilt #4. I am now on quilt #7.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:37 AM

I stayed with a friend who had a corduroy, flannel and canvas quilt on the guest bed. It was heavy and warm. The pattern was simple, all squares and rectangles (no triangles!) and no pieces smaller than 3 inches wide.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:06 AM

I have made corduroy rail fence quilts with denim backing for nursing home residents. They can handle the vigorous laundry procedures better than lighter fabric.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:15 AM

I like to use it in charity and baby quilts. I do some with a variety of textures to stimulate mind and feel for recipients. So I have mixed with chenille, corderoy and minke using larger squares, usually 5" or larger.