Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Corduroy in quilts >

Corduroy in quilts

Corduroy in quilts

Old 12-03-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
I've always loved the texture of corduroy. Yesterday, I found two 3/4 yd. matching cuts in the scrap bin at Joann's. Had to have them....a dark rich fall print. So now I am curious if any of you have incorporated corduroy in a quilt. If so, any special tips? I read you are to press lightly from the wrong side with the right side facing down on a towel.
I'm working on a rag quilt with corduroy now. As long as you pick a pattern that works well with a heavier fabric, you're good to go.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by bbeyes View Post
Have you ever used flannel to make large quilts not baby quilts? Wondered if they will hold up over time.

Flannel is just like any other fabric, if you use quality, you'll get quality.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:44 PM

I've just fallen in love with a brightly-coloured paisley baby (pinwale) cord that would be adorable for backing a baby quilt. Would this be manageable to hand-quilt through? Failing that, I suppose tying the quilt would be an option. I'm considering using it for backing a quilt I'm planning which will feature either a dinosaur or a dragon, using prairie points along the critter's spine. Or possibly with that green Kaffe Fassett jelly roll I won a while ago. Or both. Is pinwale/baby cord really so heavy that you need to skip the batting, or does it work with one of the thinner battings? I've used flannel before, and while flannel on both sides is very heavy, flannel on one side is a bit heavy but manageable. I think I used Quilters Dream poly request for the last quilt with flannel on one side, which is 1/16", and will be using Hobbs Polydown for the current one (no idea but it's distinctly puffier), which hasn't been basted yet. Is pinwale/baby cord a lot heavier than flannel?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:58 PM

I picked up a bright pink plaid homespun bed skirt that I've reclaimed. I'm going to make a rag quilt out of it. My other fabric is either going to be a calmer pink corduroy or maybe a lime green (in the plaid) suiting flannel.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:12 PM

I've made corduroy quilt tops, but they were rectangles with borders. The fabrics were so striking that the quilt didn't need anything more than that. Also corduroy tends to be stretchy, so I didn't want to cut and piece it.

The backs were cotton, and I used fleece for batting.

I'm thinking of making another one for one of my nieces, simply because it went together so fast!
Old 12-15-2013, 06:42 AM

Corduroy has a richness about it, the quilts do look nice and would be warm.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:33 AM

Is there anyone who's used cord for backing quilts, and if so, how did it turn out?