Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cost increase. >

Cost increase.

Cost increase.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:56 AM
Power Poster

i also bought a class and got bored with it. The supply list was enough to choke a goat. plenty of places to learn without paying high prices.
I have the same problem with my LQS. They charge $$$$$'s for the class plus I have to buy everything from them. They are there, the store is open why charge so much .
Old 09-30-2014, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

I have purchased at sale price a few of the classes.......one was very disappointing...might as well just read the book!.

i also bought a class and got bored with it. The supply list was enough to choke a goat. plenty of places to learn without paying high prices..

Craftsy gives a refund for the class if you aren't happy with it.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:07 AM

This happened to me. The class was for "Pixel Don't Blink." It was for advanced beginner and was so complicated that I sent an email to Craftsy to inquire about getting a pdf copy of the pattern. Instead they gave me my money back and let me keep the fabric but I wish I could have received the pattern. I think I will stick to magazines instead of Craftsy.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:41 AM

I've been very pleased with the majority of the Craftsy classes I purchased. There are one or two I didn't care for and I didn't realize until later that there is a 30 day limit on getting a refund. By and large, though, I've really enjoyed them and have learned things in all of them. I really like that they are simple to return to and just play the parts I'm interested in. That's a lot more difficult on YouTube. I have friends who just play the classes on their tablets and listen while doing something else. I haven't tried that yet but I retired recently so I may give that a whirl now that I have a little more time.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:53 AM

I took oone of the Craftsy classes and felt that the free ones on u-tube, while maybe not as asthetically pleasing, got the message across just as well. Missouri Star Quilt Co. puts out a ton of free videos and they are all very good. I have made several of her quilts and they were quick and easy, so I don't pay for classes.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Still, it would seem to make sense to me that some of these quilting tools companies could come up with some semi-covert way to market their products (like how the classes on TV do it) in a quality forum with High-Res video, good teachers & a single, clear topic. Hopefully they can make that happen in the not-too-distant future.
I actually hope they NEVER do this, because I absolutely cannot stand "product placement" ads. I would much rather either pay and not have to deal with that or have them clearly presented as ads. If a teacher genuinely LIKES a product and wants to talk about it, that's fine, but once product placement starts I feel I can never trust that teacher's word on things because I don't know if she's saying it because she means it, or because she has to say it in order to satisfy a sponsor's requirements. That's a sure-fire way to make me stop watching something!

If they want to have free classes that are clearly labeled as "sponsored", I'd be fine with that because they'd be easy for me to identify and avoid. But if that starts bleeding into classes I pay for...I'm out!

I have bought 3 craftsy classes now. One I really loved, the other two are pretty good but very long and I don't think I actually finished either one. Never felt the urge to return any of them, though. I like that you can watch over & over; the one I really loved (Leah Day FMQ class) I've watched a few times - I like to re-watch it on fast-forward with the sound off, just as a quick refresher on how she moves and how she positions her hands. It helps get me back into MY groove before doing FMQ.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I have purchased at sale price a few of the classes.......one was very disappointing...might as well just read the book!...doubt if I'll sign up for any others...like mentioned, much free demoes, how tos on YouTube...JMHO
yes so much info and demos on youtube.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:50 AM

[QUOTE Still, it would seem to make sense to me that some of these quilting tools companies could come up with some semi-covert way to market their products (like how the classes on TV do it) in a quality forum with High-Res video, good teachers & a single, clear topic. Hopefully they can make that happen in the not-too-distant future.[/QUOTE]

Just watched EBs latest webinar. She said will be using the accuquilt dies in her craftsy class.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I've purchased a couple Craftsy classes that I was not happy with and let them know immediately. Had DH check my speakers and volume and all was well. Could not understand and video was not close enough. Got my money credited to a different video and was great. Have not seen the video since. It was one of the first about FMQ on a DSM. They have the same instructor and the video is great. Just remember a lot of the "Freebies" still cost to make. Just be choosy and try to decide how bad you want/need it. How often you will refer to it. I refer to mine often.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I have purchased at sale price a few of the classes.......one was very disappointing...might as well just read the book!...doubt if I'll sign up for any others...like mentioned, much free demoes, how tos on YouTube...JMHO
I bought one that I thought was awful - the teacher just didn't know how to teach on camera. Craftsy has a 30 day money back policy that I didn't really pay attention to but kept watching the class thinking it would get better. After about 9 months, I gave up and wrote to Craftsy telling them how bad I thought the class was not asking for a refund since it was way past the time stated in their policy. They wrote back, gave me a refund and an apology, and left the class on my dashboard just in case I decided to give it another try. I thought they went above and beyond!
I too wait for the classes to drop below $20 just because I know eventually they will. In fact, when I first discovered them, they would occasionally drop classes to $5 but no more!