Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?.... >

Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?....

Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?....

Old 01-25-2015, 12:27 PM

I, too, have to remove the threads from my rolling chairs! Used to be OCD about cleanliness in my sewing room, now I need to sew more and worry less about strings, dust bunnies, etc. I do what I can but it's a small space and i usually have more than one project going at at time. I have been reorganizing AGAIN, and found I have matching fabric collections for at least 45 quilts to be made!! I'll probably in my life time get them all done and my family will say, "
What was Mom thinking"? LOL! But i am having fun and happy in that controlled, chaotic space!!! And it's mine. I close the door and walk away and no one goes in there!!! Be happy quilting buddies and sew on….
Old 01-25-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Well, I know that I am not a neat "sewist". My basic problem is that I am GREAT at taking stuff out, but truly STINK at putting it back.
This is my problem too. If I would just return tools, patterns and fabrics to their proper place I wouldn't have such an overwhelming mess. The fact that I can just walk out and close the doors in my upstairs sewing rooms doesn't encourage neatness either.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:59 PM

My husband stays out of my sewing room except when invited and I stay out of his workshop in the basement. We can live in harmony most of the time.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:12 PM

Do you just throw your threads on the floor, and expect the vacuum cleaner to pick them up? Then the roller bar gets completely full and breaks the belt.

I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:19 AM

My biggest problem is clutter and that is caused by lack of space. I try to organize it every now and again but the room is waaaaaaayyyy too small. I have resorted to putting stuff in piles which drives me crazy because I have to have to move things to get to what I need. What a time waster! When I want to start a project I have to lug all needed sewing stuff, including machine, to my living room. It drives me CRAZY. I DREAM about having a REAL sewing room where everything is organized, neat and clean. I room that I can go to that is MY Sanctuary.........
Old 01-26-2015, 04:40 AM

Of, funny. I really swore a lot with my other machine, never do with my Janome.😀
Old 01-26-2015, 04:57 AM

I never thought about that. I'll have to look at my wheels.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:35 AM

For a project one month our guild made thread catchers to use at our sew-ins. The problem I had was the threads stuck to the inside the catcher. I took one of those large square plastic juice bottles, cut off the top and it fit perfectly inside the thread catcher, all my threads go in there, when I am done for the day, I remove the insert, dump it and no stray threads to clean up. When I leave my knitted pincushion fits inside the insert (my nipping scissors are held by my pincushion, as is Jack). Cleanup is fast and easy. My sewing room is so small and cluttered with fabric, there is no room to throw threads on the floor.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:31 AM

Oh, I wanted to add....my sewing room is a small bedroom, which doubles as a guest room when kids or grandkids visit. So when I fold out my drop leaf on the sewing table, I barely have room to get my big chair between table and bed. I've thought of changing to a sofa bed...but the present bed is an old day bed, which sits high. Which allows me to hide totes under it. Where would I put all this stuff? Lol...it's hard to justify wishing for a bigger house so I could have a giant sewing room. I'd probably just fill it up with fabric and dropped thread! I've really enjoyed all the responses to my thread. Stay warm!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:36 AM

Wen I finished the basement in this house, I set up the sewing studio for messy me! I have stained concrete floors - they look great and clean easily. I have a Dyson with a sweep bar that can be turned on or off; I never turn it on. I have small trash cans from Ikea next to ever machine. They help with the snippets, but I still get threads from the fabrics all over me (I really should make a sewing apron!). I have lots of storage, but my biggest problem is putting away the items from the last project before I start the next one. Like a PP, I end up with a stack of scraps from three or four projects, pushed to the side of the cutting table. When it falls on me, it is time to sort :-)

pam