Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creative block >

Creative block

Creative block

Old 05-12-2010, 05:47 AM

When I have the "quilter's creative block" problem I just find a UFO to work on. Before I get it done the new project usually comes to mind. Another thing that helps is to put "want to do that someday" samples/info into a basket ahead of time and draw from it. If the block is bad enough, I just look on this site or the catalogs for inspiration.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Banned

I make a lot of very simple little quilts for the local hospital. They are single piece of interesting fabric for top, batting, backing, quilted vertically about every 4.5" and do binding by hand. when I have a mental block I start putting these together. First step is layering and pinning, second step is quilting and third is binding.l

I do this and not waste time worrying about "the next project". In almost all cases an idea will come to me while doing this.

I will also put some groups of fabric in plain sight as I work on other things and again, ideas will start coming.

An example of an unintended project. My sister sent me two of her "quilty" dresses. One had never been worn the other had been made from a primitive line of fabric back in the 90's. I was going to give them to the quilt guild for their sale table. I did give the new one to them. I kept the one my sister had made. It was a tiered gathered skirt made of 6" squares. I decided to take it apart and make a small quilt top to send back to her to finish and give to one of her chairity projects. The fabric is still good as the dress had been worn only a few times. I found some solid that matched exacttly.

So inspiration can come when you least expect it and often when you are not searching for it. Find something simple to do in the meantime. We do think while sewing - Right?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:51 PM

I keep my scraps organized by width ( 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2 etc.) in empty see through plastic boxes from the grocery just for my down times. Maybe some day I will have a down day!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

I have found that I usually take more time finishing something that I am making for myself. If it is for someone else it seems that I have a deadline, such as Christmas or the person's birthday. You could start one for a friend.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:25 PM

I put together a list of projects I want or need to work on with a proposed completion date. Once I'm ready for a new project I look at what I really need to get finished soon and do that next.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:39 PM

So many good ideas to get the juices flowing. Thanks to all the suggestions.