Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creative block >

Creative block

Creative block

Old 04-27-2010, 04:41 AM

What helps me pick a pattern, or even a color scheme-
Is to think about the person I am making the quilt for.
Is it a baby shower gift/birthday gift/Xmas gift?
Or is it a quilt I am making for myself? Of course when making a quilt for myself I use my favorite colors.
If I am making a quilt for charity, I go to my scrap box, so it will be a scrappy quilt. Whether for a crib/lap quilt will decide baby prints or not. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:34 AM

Maybe try a new technique that you have been wanting to do, like paper peicing or applique. See where it goes from there. I find if I pull out something completely different, I get inspired as my mind goes in another direction.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:14 AM

I get on the Internet and google quilting sites. It's great entertainment and often very inspirational.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by 978gray
Help!!!

I have spent the last two weekends puttering in my sewing room and just can't seem to get any inspiration for projects.

I keep looking through books and on the web for ideas. I have projects to make - but seem to have a block. I can't get an idea or start anything.

What do others do when you have a block?

How do you start the creative juices flowing again?

A\Suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Maybe you should just do other things now til the quilting urge returns. I go through stages when I don't have any desire to quilt then all of a sudden I get quilting fever & ideas keep popping in my head & I can't wait to get started. When I'm in this stage I even have trouble sleeping because I keep designing quilts in my head. Don't know if this helps or not but I think if I didn't go through "stages" I'd never get anything else done.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:49 AM

We all get them - those mental blocks. I do a number of things - gardening, fabric shopping, stash sorting or just a great walk in a local park or trail with my camera close at hand.
Backing away from the item is the most important thing, in my opinion.
I liked everyone's idea of making a tote bag, pot holder or coaster. Make it play time how ever you can.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:33 AM

I, too, sometimes get "quilter's block". I fondle my fabrics, shuffle through patterns and review all my books. I get mad at myself for not being able to select a project to begin. Whenthis happens, I find that if I make something easy, like a purse or tote bag, I get that instant gratification that I seem to need. As soon as "something" is finished, I'm ready to get to stitching again.
For the last two weeks, I've "wasted" time between projects because I just "couldn't decide". Last night I made a Bow Tuck bag and now I'm ready to go. Weird huh?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by MaryAlice
Maybe try a new technique that you have been wanting to do, like paper peicing or applique. See where it goes from there. I find if I pull out something completely different, I get inspired as my mind goes in another direction.
what a great idea, I just started cutting a new one today
Old 04-27-2010, 03:32 PM

Maybe you just need a "break" from quilting. Use the time to read that book you always wanted, sort your clothes for the less fortunate, try that recipe you always wanted to try..... the possibilities are endless... Just might be a case of "spring fever" - so go for a LONG walk, take your camera for some inspiring future quilt color ideas........
Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 PM

I think everyone has that problem once in a while. I just went through a spell of 'no project blues'. Suddenly, my daughter wants a candle mat and a table runner. The guild I belong to is having a challenge quilt event which won't be due until next March but something moved me to start working on a small wall hanging (never entered before) and I am enjoying that. Don't worry - just keep looking at magazines and pretty soon you will have so many projects you won't be able to keep up with them!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:38 PM

Well, scrubbin and cleanin seems to inspire me to get back to my quilting......in a hurry!