Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creative block >

Creative block

Creative block

Old 04-28-2010, 05:31 AM

One of the things that help inspire me is to work on something different, like preemie quilts or charity quilts. I very much enjoy doing something for someone that will never know it was me that did it.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:46 AM

I have a couple of preemie quilts I am working on now that are so sweet! I love to work on those. I love the kids-size to work on too. Oh, heck, I like to work on every size, but I get the greatest joy working on the ones for the babies and the children. Edie
Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Old man- New quilter
One of the things that help inspire me is to work on something different, like preemie quilts or charity quilts. I very much enjoy doing something for someone that will never know it was me that did it.
Are there special requirements on preemie quilts? Also what size are they?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 AM

Both of my kids were preemies. I would love to make some quilts for those precious "little" ones whose start in life is so tough. Are there organizations who specialize in distributing those quilts?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:40 AM

When I get quilter's block I do one of the following:

I have lots of jeans that need to be cut for jean quilts. Getting those seams and waistbands cut off helps on space and when I am ready to start a jean quilt, I can jump right in.

I will start a small project, like a baby quilt to donate. It doesn't take long and you feel like you have accomplished something!

I will go through my scrap box and cut strips and squares for future projects.

Those things usually help. I will say that I kind of like the chocolate idea. I may have to incorporate that into my list!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 AM

OK.. when I got tired of quilting.. I quit quilting... yep..just boxed it all up.. (not as much then as I have now) and put it away.. I have learned to tat, crochet, counted cross stitch,knit..I've done woodwork projects and done landscaping and the list goes on.. but I always have been a fabric collector. and behold.. one day I got the urge again.. and got EVErYTHING out and now I'm piecing again.. but you know.. it's not a contest and I don't HAVE to have them to cover my loved ones.. it's a hobby!! So quit pressuring yourself.. when you're ready you'll do it.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt
Both of my kids were preemies. I would love to make some quilts for those precious "little" ones whose start in life is so tough. Are there organizations who specialize in distributing those quilts?
Mine is 36x36 finished, I believe (I haven't finished it yet). I get mine from Quilts for Kids. They do the preemie and the kid size. Both are equally rewarding to make. But the preemie ones are special to you, I am sure. Edie
Old 04-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks Edie! I have done the QFK's ones. Didn't know they had preemie ones too!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Glenda Kay
I do them for a local hospital. Some places say to use 100% cotton batting and others say not to use any batting at all. 18" X 21" is a good size. The main idea is that they aren't too large thereby the parents don't have to fight any 'over hang' when having their child in their arms. The nurses also use them to put over an incubator to shield the harsh light from the child. The quilt goes home with the child when they leave the hospital.
I would suggest that you contact a local children's hospital and make arrangements to donate.

OH. and NO QUILTING on these. You also need to be sure that no loose threads are there and NO embellishments are to be used. Not even applique..
Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 AM

Thank you for the information! I will contact the local hospital for more reguirements. My youngest daughter had preemie twins. They spent one month in NICU. We practically lived at the hospital during that time. They are 5 yrs. old now & precious!
Originally Posted by Glenda Kay
I do them for a local hospital. Some places say to use 100% cotton batting and others say not to use any batting at all. 18" X 21" is a good size. The main idea is that they aren't too large thereby the parents don't have to fight any 'over hang' when having their child in their arms. The nurses also use them to put over an incubator to shield the harsh light from the child. The quilt goes home with the child when they leave the hospital.
I would suggest that you contact a local children's hospital and make arrangements to donate.

OH. and NO QUILTING on these. You also need to be sure that no loose threads are there and NO embellishments are to be used. Not even applique..