Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cruising to Hawaii - what to do?

Cool Cruising to Hawaii - what to do?

My DH and I are cruising to Hawaii in November. We will have 8 days at sea. I need my quilting fix! What can I take with me to work on? Hand sewing, of course. I am asking for suggestions now so I can plan ahead and get fabric. Or, at least raid my stash and plan ahead. Maybe I can meet some other quilters and form a "long-distance" group. Please keep in mind that I am basically a beginner. I have been sewing clothes, dolls' bodies and clothes and craft items for over 50 years, but am new to quilting and this is a new experience to me. Loving it!!!
    April
    Is there a doctor in the house? I just got bit by the quilting bug!

I love taking hand applique with me on rides...the subway to and from work, the high-speed train from Madrid to Barcelona, in the car, and so on. I work on relatively smaller pieces that fit in my lap so they don't drag on anything and get dirty. I made a little kit to hold thread, needle threaders, needles, pins. And a little folder to hold the fabrics. It's easy to transport and can be done virtually anywhere. Enjoy your cruise.

Blog Entries
    everything that nycquilter said. also, if your vision needs assistance, take extra glasses to be sure. have a wonderful time!
    Nancy in western NY

How about Cathedral Window or Grandmother's FLower Garden? I bet you will meet a lot of nice people as they stop to see what you are doing.

Personally I would just enjoy all the cruise has to offer. Taking a vacation from all the things you do everyday can really help recharge and get your juices flowing when you come back from vacation. When I go on vacation I'm truly on vacation!

I would second hand applique. I would find a nice project and prep the pieces ahead of time and take them with me. I will often prep a block ahead of time and take it with me when I know I will be sitting somewhere for a while. It's a nice way to enjoy my sitting around time. I love the patterns from Bee in My Bonnet personally, she does some of my absolute fave applique patterns. Let me know if you want a link to her site!!

Good luck!
    Rachel

I took that cruise in Jan..and I had a fubulous time. I did not bring any sewing but I bought a few books and relaxed by reading.

Blog Entries
    We've been on a bunch of cruises and while it was before I quilted, there were usually enough activities that we were never bored. In case you think you might need a fix, I would second the suggestion of GFG all cut and ironed to freezer paper. I used to baste them and sew them together while in the car. In any case, enjoy your cruise and have fun!

Most of the time I agree with Scissor Queen. Vacation is a time for relaxation. However, this is not our first cruise and I am going to just relax. After all, I am retired and really need a vacation (said sarcastically). But seriously, I do enjoy sitting on the Promenade deck and people watching. I watch for sea animals and enjoy the passing people. With 4 days to Hawaii and 4 days back, I'll need something besides watching people, reading, walking, and eating. The bars are wonderful, but since I am diabetic, drinking is not an option. Thank you for all the great ideas and suggestions.
    April
    Is there a doctor in the house? I just got bit by the quilting bug!

Hope you have and Awesome trip. It sounds like a dream to me. I would consider some hand applique, cross stitch, hand piecing, BUT most of all enjoy your trip and time with your husband!... It's not everyday to get to go on a cruise or to Hawaii!..
    Country 1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast