Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cruising to Hawaii - what to do? >

Cruising to Hawaii - what to do?

Cruising to Hawaii - what to do?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 PM

How about a Hawaiian quilt or pillow? One large block, made into a pillow would be nice. You will then have a memento of the cruise! Then when you get to Hawaii, you can check out the stores there and see the large Hawaiian quilts. Win Win!!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 PM

I understand you need for something quilty but you need to check out all that the ship has to offer. When we went to Alaska and were at sea days they offered cooking classes, computer classes, dance lessons and other activities. I took some had work and a book and never used either one. Have a great trip.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

The very first thing to do is take me with you! You are so lucky! Have you ever dabbled in making a Grandmothers flower garden? It is wonderful hand work and they are small to carry. You will have to visit the quilt museum in hawaii.
Also, how about trying a hand appliqued hawaiian style quilt? What a great idea that would be!

Have a great time!
peace
Old 03-02-2012, 06:32 PM

GFG comes to mind, or any type of english paper piecing project
Old 03-03-2012, 03:02 PM

Just got back from a cruise in February. I brought some hand embroidery along as well as squares cut for a small GFG and squares cut for doing YoYo's. I didn't get much done except while waiting in the airport. At least it didn't take up much room in my carry on. Enjoy and relax!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:36 PM

Both of these are great projects and very portable. You could even work on them while you're sunning on the deck!!!!! Have a great time!!!!!
Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
How about Cathedral Window or Grandmother's FLower Garden? I bet you will meet a lot of nice people as they stop to see what you are doing.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 PM
HMK

When a friend & I took a Mexican Riviera cruise, she sat soaking up the sun by the pool and I sat in the shade making a pair of socks in vivid Mexican colours. This was one of the "souvenirs" that I brought home and every time I wear them, I think of the lovely memories of that trip. We did a lot of touring in ports and lots of the on-board things but this was a nice sit by the pool and relax project for me - I could still people watch while knitting.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:50 PM

Do you like to embroider? If so find an iron on pattern you like, choose some good fabric, gather the threads. Work on embroidered blocks for a quilt. Many of the embroidery kits in stores are not on good quality fabric anymore but you can check those out, too.