Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
crushed velvet? >

crushed velvet?

crushed velvet?

Old 09-02-2013, 03:12 PM

Default crushed velvet?

Hi I'm new to quilting so I'm gonna sound stupid, but I've been looking for a quilt that has velvet and lace in it and I found it. It had no patterns to the picture, but like I do for sewing cloths I would usually "wing it" but I'm scared of quilting and wasting money. So what I wanna ask is what kind of stabilizer should I use on the crushed velvet. I know that stuff is so stretchy but this is what was in the picture. I'm just not sure if the stabilizer for cloths making should be the same
Old 09-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. It depend on what kind of crushed velvet it is. You can iron a fusible stabilizer to the back of the crushed velvet if it can take the heat of the iron. You can also surround a crushed velvet square with woven fabrics on all sides, to help stabilize the square. Many Crazy quilts from the Victorian age used velvets, satins, lace, taffeta and embroidery.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:08 PM

I do alot of crazy quilting and have used crushed velvet. Usually when doing CQ. your pieces are fairly small, and you always have a foundation piece of fabric, that you are attaching your velvets, satins and etc. to. Google crazy Quilting and you will see alot of beautiful things.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Welcome! I agree with Tartan, an iron on stabilizer would work well. Crushed velvet is often on a knit backing (panne velvet) and almost always a synthetic. I would look for a lightweight non woven iron on. If you can get to a JoAnn's, read the labels and look for something that will work with a cooler temp iron. The same stuff that you would use for garment construction will work.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:28 PM

Thanks ladies. I feel more comfortable with starting my 1st quilt
Old 09-03-2013, 04:33 PM

I have never done this with crushed velvet but what about spray basting it to a muslin foundation?
Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

I know some people use "used" dryer sheets as stabilizer for string quilts etc. and maybe they would work for backing your velvets too.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
I have never done this with crushed velvet but what about spray basting it to a muslin foundation?
Omg thats genius.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:36 AM

I made my husband a "Captain Jack Sparrow" vest one year for Halloween. I used black crushed velvet. On the front I use a lightweight fusible stabilizer and did not stabilize the back. Well, the back looked horrible after a few wearings (the kids fought over it after my husband wore it). The back stretched and sagged over the hemline. Lesson learned - stabilize every square inch of the crushed velvet next time.

Let us know if it works good with the spray adhesive - should be easier than trying to use a stabilizer (no need to worry about iron being too hot). Plus those stabilizer's can be stiff.

Please show a picture when you are done - would love to see it!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:40 PM

believe it or not, it is possible to use Easy Knit fusible to stabalize a knit. Just cut the Easy Knit with the least amount of stretch going the direction of the most stretch in your Velvet. It keeps the knit from stretching too much but keeps the "hand" of the fabric. Translate that to it will stay flexible and feel like the velvet without all the stretching out that can happen. Easy knit takes a lower iron heat, than many of the other fusibles'.