Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Wall...Do You Have One? >

Design Wall...Do You Have One?

Design Wall...Do You Have One?

Old 03-25-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Mine is made from a 4'x6' foam core board from Home depot covered in a thin batting or you can use white felt. I hang it on the wall with the 3M hooks that stick to the wall, but can be removed without damage. It is great. Probably cost under $10.00 total. The nice thing is it will just hold your squares or you can pin them on it because it is about 1/2" thick.

Use mine all the time.
Thanks for this idea. I don't have any wall space in my wee room, but I could make a board like this and it would be portable to take anywhere!!! We may even have some left over foam insulation I could use...more recycling. :D

Patti
Old 03-26-2010, 06:35 AM
DJ

Thanks for the inspiration . . . Here's mine in action!
:D
Old 03-26-2010, 06:37 AM
DJ

Here . . .
Attached Thumbnails attachment-31485.jpe  
Old 06-27-2010, 02:12 PM

Nothing like bumping a three-month old topic, but up until yesterday I'd never even heard of a design wall.

I'll have to keep it in mind. I used to teach Sunday school and it sounds like a design wall is essentially the same thing as a flannelboard. :thumbup:

See? I've already learned something here....
Old 06-29-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
What's it made of? Worth it? Do you use it a lot?
I painted and rearranged my sewing room a couple months ago. I put up a flannel backed tablecloth that I bought at Odd Lots for $3.50. I have been working on a double wedding ring for my daughter and SIL and was trying to work on my ironing board and keep the sequence straight. Now that I have the "design board" I have no problems. I wish I'd done it years ago. It was WELL worth it.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:04 AM

I just got my first one about 2 weeks ago, after being a quilter for nearly 12 years.
I love it, don't know why I waited so long. :roll:
Old 06-29-2010, 01:11 PM

I've found that the 12 by 12 sandboard just isn't big enough to lay out a larger square. It'll be great to travel with, but I think I may have to make a design wall sooner than I thought. We'll see!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 PM

Our house has very few "open" walls, what with bookcases, doors, and big windows, etc. When I was having difficulty with a complicated quilt about 10 years ago, my husband made a design wall for me that hangs in our dining room.

The frame is PVC pipe, with elbows at the corners. I used extra-wide felt and sewed casings on two sides, and Velcro straps on the other two. Put two pipes together with an elbow, thread them through the casing sides, attach the other sides and elbows, and tighten the straps on the other two sides. Oh, I forgot -- he actually put "T" joints on two sides, which he later threaded strong nylon twine through to hang the finished "wall." It takes up the entire wall -- about 8" x 7" -- and I use every bit of it!!

It's fun to look at a work in progress while we're eating dinner. One or the other of us will frequently see where "this would look better there" and so on.

The only downside to it is that it's about 15 feet from where I sew, necessitating frequent trips to and fro. But I need the exercise, so it's likely a good thing overall...... :-)
Old 06-29-2010, 02:59 PM

I have a bed that I use! I don't have the room. Someday...
Old 06-29-2010, 03:20 PM

My design wall is super-fancy and took days and days to build. :wink:

It's just a nekkid 4'x6' piece of blue styrofoam. :lol:

My sewing room is barely 9' square, with no free wall space whatsoever, so the styrofoam just stands "wherever". It's constantly being moved around.

I wonder if I can convince DH to swap my sewing room and our bedroom. I've got a quilting machine & stand on order, which will have to go in the bedroom anyway. And we really don't need much room for sleeping! :mrgreen: