Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Did you ever.....?

Did you ever.....?

Did you ever cut out a project, start to sew on it, leave it for a length of time, then go back to it and have no clue how to continue? Late last fall, I cut out a cute pattern for a pieced window valance. Managed to sew one block then tucked it away to start sewing on holiday gifts. Yesterday, I got the project back out. Spent hours trying to remember what I did and what I need to do next. Remeasured all the pieces and identified. Still, am just scratching my head. If I wasn't so fond of the fabric choices, I'd scrap it and start over as it would be so much easier.

Have done that already and it just makes me so mad at myself!!
    Gloria 

Oh dear. I haven't left a project undone very long because I know I'd be in the same boat in which you found yourself.

I'm more likely to go back to it and be missing pieces. I try not to put away tops in progress, for that very reason. I have picked up a couple, that weren't put aside for very long, and had to struggle to remember the cutting dimensions (like my cathedral window). Gotta learn to write things down, I guess.

Yes!! Which is why I now keep a steno note book in my sewing room to keep notes on.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Yes!! Which is why I now keep a steno note book in my sewing room to keep notes on.
    The key to that is not making the notes too cryptic!! I have jotted down a couple of notes for patterns I have designed and later had no clue what they meant.

Blog Entries
    yep, i have for sure. I just watched Fon's and Porters show and Fon's was saying she makes notes in case she stops and goes back later. Sounds like a good idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    Did you ever cut out a project, start to sew on it, leave it for a length of time, then go back to it and have no clue how to continue?
    Yes, I've done that. I've also changed my mind completely about how it should have been done.

Smile

Okay, I am only in my second year of quilting but I can sympathize with your dilemma. About the 3rd quilt, I started labeling everything. Like the lone star I am doing for the first time, I have each stack of 4 pieced rows labeled and loosely tied together with leftover selvage ties. I make a copy of the actual quilt pattern directions and write notes to myself all over the copy during the cutting/piecing/quilting process so that I know where I finish each time I am working. I have had a couple of situations where I had to leave the quilt for a week or two but when I get back to it, everything is ready for me to start where I left off. Also, when the hubby comes and says time to mow - I take 3 minutes to make sure all is ready so that when I get off the tractor, I am ready to quilt!!!! I love doing this. Also, on the ones I am hand quilting in the evening, I pin a 3" square of paper where I leave off. I lap quilt and literally just plop the quilt behind my chair when I go to bed. Helps to find my place the next evening. Maybe some of these suggestions will help.
    Busy in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    Yes, I've done that. I've also changed my mind completely about how it should have been done.
    Been there, done that. And resdesigned the quilt later, only to run out of fabric :/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast