Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Difference between dual feed and walking foot? >

Difference between dual feed and walking foot?

Difference between dual feed and walking foot?

Old 07-30-2012, 07:27 AM

i agree, btw nicely said
Old 07-30-2012, 07:49 AM

You don't need a walking foot if your machine has dual feed ... A "walking foot" is a separate attachment, made for the older machines that DON'T have the built-in dual feed feature.

** I just read back, didn't realize that a Bernina would need BOTH ?? I have the Janome 6600 and a Pfaff with IDT, the built-in dual feed for both handles everything, from piecing to mq to bindings.
For the money spent, a new Bernina should NOT need another expensive and clunky walking foot !! makes no sense, except for Bernina sales $$ of course !!

Last edited by TexasGurl; 07-30-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl View Post
You don't need a walking foot if your machine has dual feed ... the suggestion was mistaken.
A "walking foot" is a separate attachment, made for the older machines that DON'T have the built-in dual feed feature.

You are mistaken and should read the whole thread. The OP is asking about a Bernina 830.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:04 AM

To add to my previous post concerning a walking foot vs the Bernina dual feed foot. This dual feed foot works very well but I find that the thicker the combined fabrics are, the walking foot handles it more efficiently. Maybe it's my batting or the type of fabrics I was working with but on 2 occasions the dual feed foot was not efficient on those 2 quilts & I was very glad to have purchased the walking foot with my Bernina 820. IMHO the walking foot was worth the money even at its inflated price.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by callen View Post
To add to my previous post concerning a walking foot vs the Bernina dual feed foot. This dual feed foot works very well but I find that the thicker the combined fabrics are, the walking foot handles it more efficiently. Maybe it's my batting or the type of fabrics I was working with but on 2 occasions the dual feed foot was not efficient on those 2 quilts & I was very glad to have purchased the walking foot with my Bernina 820. IMHO the walking foot was worth the money even at its inflated price.
I agree. And I would also add, that if one has spent the money it costs to buy the 830 an extra $150 for the best tool is sort of a no brainer:> And then add on the Blind stitch attachment of around $35...
Old 07-30-2012, 08:37 AM

OOPS, I meant Stitch in the Ditch attachment.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 AM

The walking foot is a foot that makes the top layer move along at the same rate as the bottom layer. IDT/dual feed does the same thing, but its built into the machine. I love my Pfaff with IDT, I quilt with it because its easier to see where I'm sewing, the walking foot for my other machines works well, but its harder to see where I'm going. I also like the IDT on my Pfaff for piecing quilt blocks, especially flannels; my blocks usually come out to the correct size.

Last edited by purplefiend; 07-30-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:11 PM

Thanks to all of you for the information. I am going to make a trip to my trusted Bernina dealer. He is very knowledgeable, and fair. He. Is from Switzerland and is a master technician for the Berninas. He worked for Bernina in Switzerland and trained the trainers. Again, thanks for your input.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:59 AM

I read the other day that the ITD moves with the feed dogs and the walking foot moves with the needle. I don't know if that makes ANY difference at all. Just something that caught my eye and stayed in my memory bank for some reason.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
You are mistaken and should read the whole thread. The OP is asking about a Bernina 830.
My my, someone sure got up on the wrong side of the bed !!!

I didn't realize that this particular Bernina model required TWO separate dual-feed /walking ft attachments ?? Why ?? Sounds like another $$ sale for Bernina.
Why not provide a built-in dual feed that can do it ALL ... like Pfaff and Janome does ??

Last edited by TexasGurl; 07-31-2012 at 06:28 AM.