Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Difference between dual feed and walking foot?

OOPS, I meant Stitch in the Ditch attachment.

The walking foot is a foot that makes the top layer move along at the same rate as the bottom layer. IDT/dual feed does the same thing, but its built into the machine. I love my Pfaff with IDT, I quilt with it because its easier to see where I'm sewing, the walking foot for my other machines works well, but its harder to see where I'm going. I also like the IDT on my Pfaff for piecing quilt blocks, especially flannels; my blocks usually come out to the correct size.
    Last edited by purplefiend; 07-30-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks to all of you for the information. I am going to make a trip to my trusted Bernina dealer. He is very knowledgeable, and fair. He. Is from Switzerland and is a master technician for the Berninas. He worked for Bernina in Switzerland and trained the trainers. Again, thanks for your input.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    I read the other day that the ITD moves with the feed dogs and the walking foot moves with the needle. I don't know if that makes ANY difference at all. Just something that caught my eye and stayed in my memory bank for some reason.
    You can have any design you want. As long as it's loops!

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    You are mistaken and should read the whole thread. The OP is asking about a Bernina 830.
    My my, someone sure got up on the wrong side of the bed !!!

I didn't realize that this particular Bernina model required TWO separate dual-feed /walking ft attachments ?? Why ?? Sounds like another $$ sale for Bernina.
    Why not provide a built-in dual feed that can do it ALL ... like Pfaff and Janome does ??
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 07-31-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks for asking. I'll be watching the replies. I have the 820 and have been wondering the same thing.

I have a Pfaff Expressions with the IDT foot and love it! Had there been a Janome dealer in my part of the country, I'd have another Janome, because the dealer I where I purchased my Pfaff sold out and left a couple of years after I bought my machine. My all-time favorite machine is still my Memory Craft 6000, but it needs a really good servicing.
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    My Bernina 830 came with a walking foot attachment, otherwise, I don't think I could affod it on a whim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2