Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need a middle layer? >

Do I need a middle layer?

Do I need a middle layer?

Old 09-20-2014, 04:54 AM

When I first started quilting I used flannel sheets as batting. After washing, they're thin and easy to sandwich and quilt through. Would a light weight flannel sheet work? It would give the quilt some body to it but not add a lot of weight.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:20 AM

If you want to try Quilter's Dream batting my daughter has one with Dream Orient batting. She has it on her bed summer and winter and says they find it cool enough for summer. They live in San Jose CA.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:25 AM

I have one on my bed in NTexas right now that does not have any batting. The lining is a little heavy because that is some material I already had but I have realy enjoyed it this summer. Sometimes by morning I need something extra on me. It was quilted on a LA and I love it.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:52 AM

You can use flannelette for batting but preshrink well. It will give you some stability. I have used it in jackets to make the less warm.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:59 AM

I am glad I read this thread. My husband is hot natured too. He just ripped the bottom sheet of his favorite set of sheets. You have given me a great idea for him SlightlyOffQuilter.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:22 AM

I made a strip piece quilt with no batting and it is perfect for cool Fall Nights. The long armer said it would have been easier to quilt had there been even a sheet between the top and backing. She had looked at it first and thought it would be fine as it was. Live and learn!! We love it anyway.Mariah
Old 09-20-2014, 07:41 AM

I made one for my niece in FL with just a layer of cheaper cotton fabric in the middle. I wanted to get a thinner cotton, so went to Walmart and got some solid cream color. Worked great, the quilting looked great, and she is very happy with it.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

What about adding a flannel sheet for batting? It would still be light enough for him, but give you a little warmth when you need it, and quilting would not be a problem. Re: JenelTX's comment about getting rid of her cold weather clothing, my Mom moved to TX shortly after marrying my Father - she grew up in SD which has very cold weather. She told me the first winter she didn't even wear a coat; however, her blood must have thinned because the next winter she wore a coat. You just never know how you are going to acclimate to a different part of the country.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:25 AM

One of the big advantages of no batting is being able to just tie it. I would layer the top and bottom and then pin around the edges and then just sew around the outside edge and leave an opening for turning it right side out. Smooth it out again and add a few tie to the center and you're done. You can also do a top stitch around the edge to help keep the front and back from shifting around.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
I'm in Texas. Use Quilters Dream instead of Warm & Natural. Much thinner & cooler.
Thank you for the advice. I'll look it up!