Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need a middle layer? >

Do I need a middle layer?

Do I need a middle layer?

Old 09-19-2014, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

You can easily not have any batting but any quilting you do will have absolutely no definition. By the literal definition of a quilt, which is 3 layers held together by stitching, it really isn't a quilt at this point but it can function as a pretty coverlet. But I digress... due to none of the quilting showing, and I know this because one of my early quilts the batting I chose was utter garbage and disintegrated before I could complete it and the areas where there is no batting none of my beautiful quilting shows. So because there would be no batting to give it definition and texture, I wouldn't bother with any detailed quilting. I only mention this because your avatar quilt looks quite detailed in the quilting.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
What kind of batting do you normally use for quilts? If you've been using poly, you might try wool, silk, or alpaca. Poly is very very very warm.
I've never used alpaca batting but found alpaca yarn very warm, almost too hot to wear indoors. What about flannel?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
What kind of batting do you normally use for quilts?
I've been using Warm & Natural cotton batting.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
So because there would be no batting to give it definition and texture, I wouldn't bother with any detailed quilting. I only mention this because your avatar quilt looks quite detailed in the quilting.
Thank you! That actually works great, then, because it means I can really whip this out quickly. I'm planning to do a jelly roll quilt for the top, so that'll go fast. If I don't do any detailed quilting, then it really will be fast. It won't be as much fun, but this is really a utility project anyway. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-19-2014, 02:53 PM

I have a "summer quilt". It is hand quilted and true not much detail showing but still beautiful. It does show the quilting but mostly more of an embelishment. (sp) Go for it.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:16 PM

Have you tried theremore batting
Old 09-19-2014, 04:44 PM

I'm in Texas. Use Quilters Dream instead of Warm & Natural. Much thinner & cooler.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:11 PM

you know LOL, of all the quilts I have made, my hubs FAVORITE one... is made out of 2 vintage thrift store linen sheets and an old flannel sheet as batting ! He loves the feel of the sheets, and this way he does not even have to use a top sheet, just his quilt. I basted it all together and straight line quilted horizontally every 4 inches. Done ! Took me MAYBE two hours. He swears he wants to be buried with it LOL ! Oh, and just as soon as it was done, my son looked at me, and I knew ! So he will be getting one soon LOL.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:21 AM

Flannel would be my choice for a lightweight/summer quilt. Since flannel shrinks more than cotton would, it is a good idea to launder the flannel first before using it as a batting.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:50 AM

Yes, before air conditioning "Summer Quilts" were very popular. Just a top and backing and of course you can quilt as much or little as you wish.