Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you keep a journal? >

Do you keep a journal?

Do you keep a journal?

Old 04-10-2015, 10:45 AM

I started a notebook last year. I keep track of all that I make now. I try to take pictures of everything as well. Sometime I will get around to printing the pictures out
Old 04-10-2015, 10:45 AM

I think it's up to you how elaborate you want to make it. For me, the simpler the better would work best. I take pictures of my quilts but haven't really been documenting them. Keep saying I'll start a journal but so far haven't done it. I'll probably just include the picture, the date of the quilt, and who it was made for. I generally don't keep information on fabric lines, etc. Might include LAQ information on those I send out. Also any notes I think might be helpful.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:29 AM

I kept a journal for one quilt that I made. I wondered how long it takes me to make a quilt and I kept track of every minute I spent on it. Here is the link to the thread I posted: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t219857.html
Old 04-10-2015, 12:29 PM

I don't have a journal, but take pictures of everything that I make.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:01 PM

I just began quilting last spring. I keep notes in a marble notebook - basically instructions on how to make items. I have one page per item. I also photograph everything I make. It's amazing how fast you forget especially when you give them all away. My intention is to one day print all the pictures and put them on the page opposite the instructions. (I'm waiting to have 100 pictures to print because the cost per print drops significantly at that point.)

I've made myself the same purse a few times and I was very glad I could easily find the instructions. Same with my tote bags. I make a lot of them but still have to refer to my instructions for the best handle length etc.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:57 PM

I keep a personal and a business journal, both, as well as a computer full of photos of almost every quilt I have ever made. It sometimes amuses me to look back and see how far I have come....my main goal is to make sure that all my kids (5) and all my g'kids (14), and all my great grands (8) and my great-great grand (1 so far) have one made by me. if I accomplish that and still keep my business going, I'll be happy!
Old 04-10-2015, 05:07 PM

No, but I should have. I see things at my daughter's house--really pretty things--and ask, "Did I make that?" And she will say, "Read the label." Sure enough, I made it and don't remember it. Pictures in a scrapbook setting would be wonderful. If I start, pictures and fabric samples will be mounted on card 8.5 x 11 cardstock and a history of the quilt--date made, why made, for whom, etc.--handwritten on the back. This will go into a clear report guard and placed in a three ring notebook. froggyintexas
Old 04-10-2015, 05:13 PM

I don't keep a journal but my mother does. Each page is for 1 quilt. Pattern, photo, special notes, recipient of the quilt and small fabric swatches. it is really fun to look at. I really must start one.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:51 PM

I photograph everything I've made. I usually draw everything on parchment paper first, so I keep that rolled up when I'm done..(don't really know why?!?) The only real "journal" I have is for the Farmer's Wife quilt. I have a notebook with the blocks I've done, and the templates, swatches of fabric and the dates I made the block. I figure it will be years before I'm done with it!
Old 04-10-2015, 05:55 PM

On this site, under our personal info, there's an option to make albums. I try to document my quilt projects with photos and a rough dating of when I made them. Hope to some day make a coffee table book of the quilts I've made with a short desc. of pattern name, who it was made for, inspiration for the quilt, etc.