Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts on the point? >

Quilts on the point?

Quilts on the point?

Old 04-13-2015, 04:34 PM

Lightbulb Quilts on the point?

Hi everyone!

I'm going out of my comfort zone and want to make a quilt that is set on its points. Cold anyone give me some pointers (no pun intended lol) on the diagonal cuts and/or different rulers that help with the math. Of course....I am winging it without a pattern. I bought Marti Michell's diagonal set triangle ruler and I am just not getting it. I need some help from you all to explain the concept so I can go "Duh".

Sincerely the "square" quilter.

Kristy
Old 04-13-2015, 04:38 PM

Never done an on point quilt either but love the look. Will be following the replies with interest!!
Old 04-13-2015, 04:42 PM

Bonnie Hunter has some great info on her site. My best tip...use starch and cut your pieces a little bigger than you need. The little bit of waste is much easier to live with than pieces that are too small I don't use any special rulers. I just trim with a rectangle or square ruler once the top is done, depending on how large the piece I am trimming is.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...nt-quilts.html

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2010/...ing-chart.html
Old 04-13-2015, 04:55 PM

I love sewing quilt blocks on point. It takes longer, but is so worth the effort. Here is a great site that I use all the time.
http://quiltbug.com/articles/on-point.htm
Old 04-13-2015, 05:08 PM

At the AQS quilt show in Lancaster, I took a class with Donna Lynn Thomas. She developed the Omnigrid on-Point ruler. Google her. Interesting class. Good teacher. This feathered star block used both regular rulers and the On- Point ruler.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]516822[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-13-2015, 05:40 PM

I'm going to give a link to a YouTube video it is Lisa Maki's technique, which she demonstrates on Sue Hausmann's show. I think it's wonderful, you can buy the fusible at Joann's here in Idaho, but I bought a whole bolt on eBay. This technique takes setting On Point to easy peasy in my book and that's exactly what I needed. :0) Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnrtFbhtJP4

Last edited by onaemtnest; 04-13-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:45 AM

I don't find on-point quilts any more difficult to make than any other quilt. Except for figuring out the sides and corners! I'm out of town currently, but I have site bookmarked with how to calculate those pieces. I know I picked up the original link from here somewhere so perhaps doing an advanced search here for 'on point quilts' or something along those lines will reveal the link for you. And I only use regular rulers. The corners and sides are usually just large squares of fabric cut diagonally twice. And certainly second the comment about making them larger.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
My best tip...use starch and cut your pieces a little bigger than you need. The little bit of waste is much easier to live with than pieces that are too small.
I use a specially triangle ruler because it is so much easier since it tells you the width of the strip to cut based on the block size. I always cut bigger. In the old days, you would cut your setting triangles from a large square cutting an X. Make sure you have the straight of grain on the outside edge otherwise with a bias edge, your quilt edge could get wonky. I just recently finished piecing these blocks together. Sew with the bias edge on bottom. No pattern, just made the blocks from 6.5 cut squares.
Attached Thumbnails d9p-sewn.jpg  
Old 04-14-2015, 05:24 AM

On point is no big deal........Just remember the rule for those setting triangles....no bias edges!.....I watched that tute with the fusible ......too much extra work and looks bulky to me!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:08 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The links you've been given are great. But here is an immediate graphic to help you see how to cut those setting triangles.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails setting-quilts-point-step-1.jpg   setting-quilts-point-step-2.jpg