Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts on the point? >

Quilts on the point?

Quilts on the point?

Old 04-14-2015, 04:31 PM

Everyone has wonderful tips!
one question...do I determine the corner and sides after I put the quilt diamonds together then?
Kristy
Old 04-14-2015, 04:32 PM

Good topic. I've saved this one for future reference. Jan, good job with graphic for us "visual" learners!
Old 04-14-2015, 04:42 PM

I'm definitely a visual learner. Hands on is even better. It's amazing the help I get here on the board.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:22 AM
Power Poster

The only quilts on point I have done is the ones in a quilt book.
I printed off Jan's Instructions to use if I don't use a book pattern.
Thanks Jan for your help.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kpcakesmi View Post
Everyone has wonderful tips!
one question...do I determine the corner and sides after I put the quilt diamonds together then?
Kristy
Not sure exactly what you are asking. By 'determine' do you mean the size? If you are an accurate piecer, then your blocks should come out at the size indicated in the pattern. If not, then you can wait until your blocks are done. then measure them and cut the setting triangles using one of the charts/calcs that have already been provided. You don't join the blocks into diagonal rows until all the triangles have been cut.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:51 AM

Onaemtnest, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting the youtube link. I've stayed away from On Point quilts, because I thought they would be the death of me. Now I'm ready to take one on, this video was great. Again THANK YOU!
Old 04-15-2015, 05:01 AM

Jan's illustration/directions are right on the nose!
Old 04-15-2015, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Jan's illustration/directions are right on the nose!
Jan's contributions to this forum are always so very helpful, especially to those of us who are visual learners and self-taught quilters! Love that Jan!

So many wonderful contributors to this board, so willing to share their expertise and advice.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bubbie View Post
Onaemtnest, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting the youtube link. I've stayed away from On Point quilts, because I thought they would be the death of me. Now I'm ready to take one on, this video was great. Again THANK YOU!
You are so very welcome, it is a great method. :0) I have the Creative Grids ruler/template for side setting triangles too, and have used it with success, so I like both techniques, the fusible just takes out the math.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:19 AM

actually bocks set on point are no harder then any other quilt. the setting triangles and corner triangles can be a little tricky to figure out. but there sre plenty of helpful links to do this. The one GREAT thing about blocks set on point is that it actually makes the block BIGGER. For example a 12" block will become 17" block when set point. that means that you make less block for the quilt. BUT doing blocks on point also means that you can not just add blocks to make quilt bigger since most of the blocks are set in a specific pattern- usually 1,3,5,7,7,5,3,1. To get a bigger quilt make blocks bigger or add more borders. check on line on how to set blocks on point. any block can be set on point so try turning your blocks on point to see how they look. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!