Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you keep a journal? >

Do you keep a journal?

Do you keep a journal?

Old 04-13-2015, 02:41 PM

I keep a 3-ring binder. YEAY for plastic sheet protectors - use them all the time. When I have made a quilt, I put the pattern, samples of the fabrics, and additional design work, and a photo of the quilt into one of the sheet protectors. DON'T FORGET TO DATE IT. Also, when I enter the quilt in a show, a copy of the enty form goes in. Unfortunately, I am not always so organized and forget to put one in the book, but I am pretty good at trying to keep a "log" of the things that I have made. Don't know if it will ever get read by anyone but me, but it sure helps with the memory.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:54 PM

I really appreciate all the replies! It varies so much. Guess I will just have to figure out what's just the right amount of info for me. But I am definitely going to start keeping a journal!
Old 04-13-2015, 03:05 PM

I keep an online blog journal. When I run the longarm I log details into a comp book and have been numbering as I go to keep track of how many I'm doing. I think journals have an important place in history.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:12 PM

I have quilt journals everywhere. I use mostly graph paper spiral notebooks, although some are stitched, & some are just regular notebooks and sketchbooks. I sketch out many designs (some simply don't work, and I have not wasted any fabric) and when I begin to make one, I put in scraps so I have a fabric 'map.' I figure my strip/yardage requirements, and leave my figures on the page. I also practice my quilting designs in these notebooks. For me, the journals are a working tool, and something that I use daily. I cannot imagine not using one (or fifteen).