Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you know ???? (sewing/quiting table extentions) >

Do you know ???? (sewing/quiting table extentions)

Do you know ???? (sewing/quiting table extentions)

Old 04-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

I was just pricing out the sew steady sewing machine extentions made of acrlyic. They sure are pricey. And you have to wait four to six weeks for delivery. Gee, this seems a long time to wait.
Has anyone seen a tutorial on making one yourself? It would seem to me the leveling legs would be the hardest to get your hands on.
Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Not exactly the same thing, but take a look at this Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14go...os=8pm0Sdwdo_I

There are disadvantages to the acrylic extension tables. Often the surface is simply not large enough -- especially for machine quilting.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
I was just pricing out the sew steady sewing machine extentions made of acrlyic. They sure are pricey. And you have to wait four to six weeks for delivery. Gee, this seems a long time to wait.
Has anyone seen a tutorial on making one yourself? It would seem to me the leveling legs would be the hardest to get your hands on.
Any ideas?
Do you have a handy hubby? If so, I took the measurements around my machine for the opening and then made it as wide and long as I want (I was go for a 18x24). My husband was going to get a piece of acrylic, cut out the opening for my freen arm and attach legs made from the plumbing department. All I needed to do was furnish him with the height from the table to the top of the machine. He would then subtact out the thickness of the acrylic and cut the legs and then either screw or glue them down. Now at hardwares they have leveling screws that you can adjust the height. The only thing I wanted extra was some support legs. We were going to put 3 on the large end, 2 in the middle and 2 at the top (1on each side of the free arm).

This is all sort of moot for me because with my new machine came an ext. table so the idea didn't go to finish.

Hope this helps. I would hate to pay $80-100 for something that could very easily be made.

Good Luck!!!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:30 AM

I have one of those and love it! You don't have to buy from a distributor or 3rd party site - go directly to the manufacturer! The cheapest for my 24 x 18" in a store was $120, I could get it online for over $85, but I got it online direct from the maker for $65! That was well worth it by the time you factor in material and labor. They can cut the opening to fit any machine even my ancient one. Also it came in just a couple of weeks!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

Who did you buy from kitsie??
Old 04-02-2010, 11:44 AM

I got my table from my Bernina dealer (although I'm not sure its actually a Bernina table) anyway, the adjustable legs with the suction cup on one end is available from them. You can order as many as you like (they sell them as replacements). so I'm sure most anyone that sells the tables would also sell the legs.

Someone on here used plexiglass and cut PVC pipe for the legs to make their own pretty inexpensively.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

I found a reasonable one at shopaquiltedkitchen.com It is called a cluttergutter for half the price of the spacemaker ones. And it is fairly local (a state away) The woman who makes them is a embroidery/quilting teacher and it is a cottage business woman. I like the idea of supporting the little guy.
Thanks for all your help girls. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:25 PM

I see one now that's 18 x 24 (that's what I have) at Allbrands.com for $49.99! Try just googling "Sew Steady extension table. Dreamworks who distributes it wants $124.99!! Allbrands is good to deal with, too. Only "con" for my table is that it fits in the corner of a table on the left and one behind my machine. The curved corner of the extension is a magnet for catching a fold of fabric but being aware of this makes it a preventable problem.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Google Goddess

wow, I would love to have one also