Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with quilt please >

Need help with quilt please

Need help with quilt please

Old 04-02-2010, 10:53 AM

Hi everyone,

I am making an heirloom quilt for my first grandbaby. She is due in June. The room is being decorated in Winnie the Pooh. I thought it would be fun, to have family members make a quilt block for this quilt. I want it to be about 45 X 60, and I have at least 18 squares that are 10 1/2" square. I may end up doing 1 quilt and 1 wall hanging, or 2 quilts, as I am expecting some more blocks.

The blocks are all done differently. Some colored them with fabric crayons, some used embroidery machines, some did applique, and some will do hand embroidery. I am trying to decide if I should do a sashing in between the blocks, or what. I don't have a camera right now to do a picture, but would appreciate any suggestions you could give.

Thanks

Kathy
Old 04-02-2010, 11:13 AM

Because of the variety of methods, it might be best to set them off with sashing, or perhaps an attic window setting. Then each block will be 'showcased'.

It might also be fun to add the name of the artist on the sashing below the block.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Recently there was a teacher that did a quilt with all handmade blocks from her children. Maybe you could do a search and find out how she set them.
If that isn't to your liking you might try looking at the fabric makers sites, they have many free patterns that might work and have a little more design in the setting blocks.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Because of the variety of methods, it might be best to set them off with sashing, or perhaps an attic window setting. Then each block will be 'showcased'.

It might also be fun to add the name of the artist on the sashing below the block.
I think Quilt Mom is right on!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:36 PM

I agree with Quilt Mom. That would really set each block off from the others.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

I agree with QuiltMom too... the blocks would all run together without the sashing in between.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:28 PM

I love to make Sampler Quilts. I use a white on white or ecru on ecru or white on ecru fabric for the sashing and then either a batik or a tonal, which ever is the best of the colors (I take all my blocks to the LQS (JoAnn's) and line 'em all up and pick the border and the backing. If you could find some Winnie The Pooh fabric for the backing that would also work. Also, you might want to make a pillow to put on the rocking chair!!!!!

I would have the block maker either make a little signature square for the name on the lower corner of the block - or you could.

Edie

Happy Quilting!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:55 AM

thanks everyone. I am going to use a sashing. I haven't decided what fabric I will use yet. I had the people making the blocks use white, some used cream and I told them to do a signature. Of the 11 blocks that have been sent, only 2 were signed. I went today and bought a pen and will put the makers names on the others.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, sounds cute, please post a picture when you get it done to share with us