Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you leave your sewing machine on? >

Do you leave your sewing machine on?

Do you leave your sewing machine on?

Old 03-20-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by VaQuiltgal View Post
I've always left my machine on while ironing, cutting, etc. Never had a bulb burn out in all my years of sewing. When I leave the room I turn machine off and unplug from power strip so there's no chance of power surges hurting my machine.
This is what I do, too. The machine that is computerized has instructions in the manual that state to unplug when not in use. Just turning it off wouldn't be enough, and I don't trust surge protectors. I also unplug it when there's any chance of lightening, even if I want to sew. I already had the main circuit board fail when the machine was only a few months old (not because of lightening, but for unknown reasons). Replacing it would have cost more than the price I paid for the machine, but luckily it was covered under the warranty at the time. Now I'm walking on eggs around that machine.

I have replaced light bulbs on machines that were 40 years old or more. I would not be willing to bet that newer light bulbs will last as long as that, though. I read somewhere that turning bulbs off and on frequently is actually harder on them than leaving them on continuously. If I am in the same room with the machine I will leave it on while ironing or whatever - as long as there's no threat of thunderstorms. I always unplug when I leave the room to do other things.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:20 AM

Most of the time I leave my sewing machine on while I cut or iron. I do shut my iron off after every use however, because my sewing is in the dining room, and my iron in the living room. I'm afraid if I leave the iron on I may forget it as I have a habit of interrupting my sewing for other things.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I do turn my machine off any time I walk away from it, and when I do, it resets the stitch to the default, so I have learned to keep a stack of post-its next to the machine, and as I start a project, I write down the settings and stick it to the top of my machine. That way if I have to sew something else real quick, or turn the macine back on, I can go right back to the proper settings for the stitches of what ever I was working on, and I don't have to try and remember the settings.
Smart... why didn't I think of that?
Old 03-20-2015, 11:00 AM

I keep it on while I'm working on something, like if I pause to cut or iron. I keep my machine and a gooseneck floor lamp plugged into a serge protector, so I turn machine off, then surge protector off when using my singer. When using my Kenmore, switch has been broken for years, so have to turn off and on with plug or surge protector switch. Have had to change bulb in old Kenmore once, also keep iron plug close so when I'm finishing up a seam and want to heat iron up, just reach down to floor and plug iron in without having to get up!
Old 03-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

After having a machine catch fire, I never leave them plugged in when I leave the room...
Old 03-20-2015, 02:05 PM

My sewing machine was an expensive one & I am so blessed to have been able to get it!! I am obsessive about unplugging if we're not going to be around or if there might be a lightening storm in the area, because although we have surge protectors throughout, we've already replaced 3 phone systems & 2 Wifi units. As long as I'm just going to be up a few minutes, I leave it on; but I never leave it on and walk out of the room!
Old 03-20-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I do turn my machine off any time I walk away from it, and when I do, it resets the stitch to the default, so I have learned to keep a stack of post-its next to the machine, and as I start a project, I write down the settings and stick it to the top of my machine. That way if I have to sew something else real quick, or turn the macine back on, I can go right back to the proper settings for the stitches of what ever I was working on, and I don't have to try and remember the settings.
I was able to get a big fancy machine because of a "windfall". I don't expect to recieve another, so I can not replace my baby, so she is turned off each time I leave the room, never used in bad weather, and yes I do unplug all electronics when the weather is bad or if I am leaving home for more than a couple hours. I have surge protectors (the high tech kind) on every cord for every electronic.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:46 PM

Always leave it on until I know that I am done for the day.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:06 PM

I'm always on my sewing machine. I use a brother sewing m/c
Old 12-23-2015, 11:14 PM

With some machines you loose all your settings if you switch off every time you cut or press. I would make sure it is switched off over night or when you leave sewing for the time being.