Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you take as much pleasure? >

Do you take as much pleasure?

Do you take as much pleasure?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Dee

To me, its bonding with the fabric.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:57 PM

I enjoyed ironing clothes and fabric until I started working outside the home in 1973. Now that I'm retired, I like ironing the fabric that I'm sewing. But I still don't enjoy ironing clothes. I certainly understand the bonding feeling with the fabric during the sewing process.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:01 PM

I've done gone round the bend. My older DD just moved back to this area and is unpacking. The moving company used paper about the size of a newspaper to wrap stuff. BUNCHES AND BUNCHES AND BUNCHES AND......................of paper. Dumb me decided to iron the paper and save it for drawing and coping patterns.

BUNCHES

AND BUNCHES

AND BUNCHES

and I hate ironing! I've not started yet------got to mix up a pina colada or two first!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:40 AM

it's my destresser when i want to work with fabric and have had one of those days where i know anything i sew will have to be unsewn... around here we call it "stroking the fabric"
Old 09-23-2011, 11:27 PM

I wish you lived next door to me....I have 200 yds of fabric to launder & press!!! :)
Old 09-24-2011, 12:01 AM

I always take pleasure in working with my fabrics. First in the selecting -- I can spend hours looking for just the "right" color, texture, print and tone for the project I have in mind, and I'm always toting around scraps of what I already have to match to fabrics.

I love the softness of the fabric when it comes out of the dryer, with all of the "stiffness" chemicals removed. It's only partly dry then, and I finish it outside, so it has that "outdoor" freshness, which I could really just wallow in! Honest! Then I carefully smooth out and fold the fabric. No sense ironing it twice, and I like to use starch, but I don't like to leave it on fabric when I'm not sure when it will be used.

A lot of them time, just before I iron it, I will "air it out" again, outside, so it has that lovely outdoor smell. Then I'll put some classical music, or perhaps a nice opera on in the background, and I lose myself in the music and the fabrics, and I iron and starch away until I have the entire fabric for a project ready to go. It's really creative time for me, and lots of times I'll find myself suddenly pulling other colors out of my stash, just to see what they look like next to what I'm ironing, and if I like it, I write in in my ever-present journal, so I don't forget. Lots of projects have come together just due to "stash combinations" while ironing.

So call me nuts too. I find ironing very relaxing. I suppose it's all in your perspective of the task.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:47 AM

I'm in the ironing club too. Infact I was just in the US bought a ton of stuff and while the lady was cutting my fabric I said "I'm going to really enjoy ironing these when I get home", funny thing was she agreed that she does that too. I get great pleasure from my fabric and sometimes just get it out to look at it and wonder what I might do with it next. Weird, definitely, do I care? Naaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 09-24-2011, 01:20 AM

ACKKK! Love everything about quilting except the ironing. It's tedious, my back hurts from all the standing, I usually burn myself, and I'm always knocking something down with the large pieces of fabric.