Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone have problems with embroidery thread fraying? >

Does anyone have problems with embroidery thread fraying?

Does anyone have problems with embroidery thread fraying?

Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 AM

Default Does anyone have problems with embroidery thread fraying?

Some of the threads that I use frays and get hung up in the upper threader.
I have a high end machine and love the one thread it has beautiful colors, but I have problems with it fraying a lot it catches (it is the upper thread) .

I have a hard time getting it out. I have used Dental floss and pipe cleaners, most of the time that works.
The place where I purchased my machine told me stop using that thread, in fact he took all of it out of his shop because he has had so many machines come in with that same problem. Most of the time I can get it cleared, but then there has been times I have had to take it to the shop and have them clear it. You can't just get into these machines to clear that thread.

This thread is one of the TOP brands out there, I am sure if you embroidery you know which one I am talking about.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 AM

I don't have an embroider machine, but have you tried Sewer's Aid? It's a liquid silicone in a little droplet bottle that you put right on the spools of thread - Patsy Thompson swears by it - I've used it on metallics and it really did solve a lot of problems. It won't harm your machine. Might be worth a shot.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 AM

The Sewer's Aid is a good idea...also, you could try the Quilting Needles from Schmetz...they have a little bit different hole, so there is less pull on the thread.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

often threads fraying is due to the needle being used- use a needle specific for the size/type of thread- you may have better luck- Superior Threads is one site that has free charts you can print off explaining the different type/sizes of threads and which needle you should use with them-
sewer's aid is a (thread conditioner) which can also help-
sometimes it is the thread- meant for use in a domestic machine- and being used in a faster running specialty machine-
if i really liked the thread and wanted to use it i would start with finding the correct needle- and correct machine speed for the thread- use sewer's aid- and experiment to see if i could make it work- if everything i try fails i would toss the thread and go looking for the same color/type from a different source.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 AM

I can not use sewers aid on my machine...I believe I was told it can gum up the works.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 AM

I have a Designer 1 & SE they don't like the thread that start with M.............I have stretched it out, changed needle, and in the beginning used the sewers aid as it was than recommended. However with my Bernina that repair guy said not to use it as it can build up..............I purchase the Sulky, and buy from Superior too, also Robinson -A. Oh I even tryed inverting the spool with M brand..............go figure...............and I almost purchased a thread chest that was offered.........calla
Old 04-22-2012, 08:18 AM

You might want to also ck your bobbin shuttle/race and the cover plate for burrs. If your needle has everjumped or broken while stitching, it could have left a little rough place that is perhaps helping to shred your thread. Smooth it down and see if that helps.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I've been using Sewer's Aid for years. It has never caused a problem. Just a drop is all you need.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:08 PM

I was told not to use Sewers Aid or any other thread conditioner on computerized machines. My machine is a 12 year old Bernina 180 and it takes any thread I have put in it except Sulky, and once I bought some really cheap thread at the quilt show. I love Isacord the best but I use Coats and Clark from JoAnn's and several other brands.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 PM

I use the Large EYE Organ needles with my Brother PE700II and it eliminates the shredding issue. My Brother does not LIKE Sulky or Coats & Clark brand. I used Mettler, PolyX, MetroEM and Arc thread. Brothers don't seem to like rayon thread at all but I can use it with a thread net. Another tip is to use a thread stand which gives the thread a longer distance to travel and keeps breaking to a minimum.