Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: does anyone else have problems using their favorite fabrics?

I have quite a few but don't want to use them - I know it is silly but I just can't seem to find the right project for them.

Blog Entries
    I did, but decided I was wasting enjoyment. I looked for large block quilt patterns that would show off their beautify and am busy creating new quilts that truly can be enjoyed rather than languishing in a drawer hidden away. Take a look at Focus Pocus, or BQ, etc. You may find the perfect one. Keep us posted.

Blog Entries
    I have several fabrics I love, have decided that I want to cut a 6 - 10" block, then stitch them together with a thin sashing. That way I have my favorites in a piece just for me.

I have an entire room full of them. DH and I are doing our kind of spin on the sabbatical of fabric buying to help me on finishing what that stash should be. He cooks and does laundry, I sew and clean and no more fabric unless it is determined to be needed for a UFO. Three days into it he is going strong, I suddenly have a desire for fabrics I would once have never been caught dead buying.

I really hate to cut into some fabrics but I do and I am usually happy I did.

Gosh yes. I have this one that is just beautiful but I don't want to put it with anything. Everytime I take it out and think it will look good with this fabric or that fabric, I end up putting it back. Right now that is the only one I want to not use for anything.

Blog Entries
    When I see a fabric I buy some; a yard or two depending on how much I like it and the price. I add it to my stash and then when I find a pattern that will do it justice I have no problems using it.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    Quote Originally Posted by kriscraft99
    I have quite a few but don't want to use them - I know it is silly but I just can't seem to find the right project for them.
    ROFLMBO ~ again and again and again! Whole family has giggle-snits on this one!
    Here is one that took me YEARS to cut... only recently did my precious Laurel Burch get snipped! (and the remaining yardage is tucked safely back into her shelf!!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love orientals and had this one large piece that I just couldn't bear to cut up, so I made a whole cloth out of it. Turned out really pretty and my oldest daughter now has it.

I have some Japanese kanji prints that I bought simply because I thought they were awesome, but have no freaking clue what to do with them.

But I also have favorites that I bought that are going into the two quilts I'm making for myself (a scrappy purple cathedral quilt and a Kittie---my favorite band---t-shirt quilts). Maybe that's the solution: use the fabrics we really, really, REALLY love for quilts for ourselves. :)

I have a big box of batik fat quarters I start saving since the late 90's. I add new ones regularly. I just can't bear to use them because I know I will never find again.

yep....

Yes. There have been a few. One particular piece of fabric took me four years of petting, thinking, comparing with other fabrics, etc, before I figured out exactly what to do with it. Guess what, it looks prettier in the quilt top.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Don't fight it. The right project will come along. Happened to me a few times. Until the project made itself known, I was not able to cut into that fabric.

Blog Entries
    The ones I cannot cut go on the back sometimes. That way it can be admired as a whole.

Been there done that and still have a few. The right pattern comes along sooner or later. When it does you'll love the quilt.

Yes ... I have two pieces of a Hoffman challenge fabric from the mid-90s. Beautiful, bright butterflies that have found a place amid the stacks of butterfly fabrics that I collect. I don't think I will EVER cut that fabric. I DO pet it occasionally....

I have this problem really bad. I have a basket full of B/W fq's that I won't cut. I have about 20 feedsacks that I want to make a quilt from but I don't want to cut them until a perfect pattern appears and I wonder if it ever will.

I sure do "get attached" to some of my stash more than others and will not use them for anything unless it is the "right" project! I totally understand how you feel...

Yep, my cat fabrics. I love cats and quilting and the combination is just irresistable. However, putting those cute fabrics into a project proves very difficult, unless i'm making something for another cat lover.

Yup with you...hard to cut some fabrics, takes me mths to decide what to do with them and then still hesitate and go out for new fabric to use...But eventually I cut it and it gets used...

QM
    I am making an effort to use them. Several have found good homes. Garden Maze is one good setting for fabrics you want to use in large pieces.

Blog Entries
    A big huge Yes! I can totally relate to you!! LOL...

I have some that I bring out and touch it, refold and decide not to cut into that beautiful fabric and I put it back! I usually say "I will say that for later". NOt a big problem yet!

Quote Originally Posted by kriscraft99
    I've got a yard of some fabulous butterflies that will never be cut!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast