Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donations of quilts - who does them and what .... >

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Old 06-25-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
For those who make quilts to donate to organizations --
what organizations to you donate to?

Do you belong to a group that does them or do you do them on all your own?

What size quilts to you make and how complicated of a pattern do you generally use?
1st I make quilts for my church, they are lap size. They are called "Love Quilts" . They are given to those in the church that are sick, lost a spouse, had a fire etc.

2nd I make them for the community for those that had fires etc. Theses can be lap but sometimes twin, double etc.

3rd. I make them for a local organization call C.H.I.O.R.. They go to orphanages in Ethiopia. These are crib and twin.

Due to the urgent nature, they are simple; Rail Fence, 4 or 9 patch etc.
All the material is donated. Sometimes blocks are donated and once and a while full tops. it is my job, (joy) to put them together. They are almost always tied, due to time and cost.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Google Goddess

Downy Quilts for kids, they send you the fabric, pattern, backing (you just need to buy thread, batting) and make it and return it to them

All pieced by machine and quilted by machine! (no hand stitching allowed)

you can sign up here, free
and if you want more kits you can email (makes a great project for quilting guilds, quilters, sew days, etc.)

http://www.quiltsforkids.org/volunteer/
Old 06-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned

I longarm quilt quilts for American Heros, they get sent to Afghanastan for the wounded military personnel who are being flown from there to Germany in air cargo planes and the quilts help keep the wounded warm during the flight and they get to keep their quilts. I have done 85 of these since this February. These are roughly twin size.

I also do quilts for the Kitsap Kuddles which is for the local hospital for newborn babies and infants who are at high risk due to drugs and other abuse. Regular baby size.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 PM

I make them for Project Linus and the Wounded Warriors program. I also have made them for silent auction fundraisers for the local zoo and museum.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:31 PM

I have made two recently for downey kids, two for ALS patients, I have made several for a cancer infusion center at a local hospital, I have given kid quilts to firefighters charities. Amazing how many good causes want quilts, even more amazing how many quilters donate! I applaud all of you for your generosity. Quilters are awesome!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:58 AM

Both the guilds I am in make what are called "Quilted Hugs" -- these are quilts that are donated to the local hospitals (used to be called ABC Quilts under a national umbrella but it went under) for their preemie units. The quilts are put over the isolets, then go home with the babies. We have a guild "collection day" once per year when we get a ton of them all at once, but many of the ladies donate all year (and don't "save" them up). These quilts are at least 36 x 36, and don't vary too much from that size.

A BOM group I've been in for a while started this year off making blocks for larger quilts which we will donate at year's end to a local shelter or to Ronald McDonald House. We are using the "wonky star" block which is very easy and quick, and one of the members has committed to putting the blocks together and doing the quilting by the next month's meeting. They look great!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:42 AM

We do kids quilts for the local hospital, all sizes from premies to larger quilts for tweens. This year our guild VP got us started on Chemo quilts to give to the Chemo patients at the same hospital this was very well received with the nurses even donating batting to help us. At next months meeting it is going to be a quilt in for this. I have 3 tops to share with you soon. I hope to get about 6 scrap quilts done before Christmas to give to the homeless that live in out Walmart parking lot around Christmas time in their cars. Last year we had about 10 everynight. This year may be more, this breaks my heart. I also give my friend a lot of extra material for her group who makes small pillows for our Soldiers in Afganistan, she said her group has gotten many Thank You's from these kids.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:08 AM

The Touch quilts that my guild makes for Alzheimer's patients at the nursing homes are usually about 40" square. Some people refer to them as figit quilts and they are all about the texture and "feel". Many people with advanced dementia seem to spend a lot of their time rubbing or flailing their hands and seem agitated. The quilts are a good size to cover their laps and give them something to stoke or pick at. We choose the fabric for the texture, everything from upholstery, corduroy, terry, Minke, fleece, flannel, nubby, satin or anything else that feels different. We also use trims such as giant rick rack We just used simple squares, 8 1/2" as I had this size ruler and 25 squares would make the approximate finished size. Happy stitching for some very needy deserving seniors.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:37 AM

Thanks, My son is a combat controller and I know they appreciate anything anyone does for any of the military. Do you by any chance know about Wounded Warriors for Special Operations soldiers or Wounded Warriors? They raise money, and have fund raisers for the wounded and family of deceased soldiers.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:12 AM

Today will be my first day as the coordinator for our guilds' Reaching Out program. It's been on-going for several years and the "leaders" change off every so often. We make baby to twin size quilts for local organizations.