Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donations of quilts - who does them and what .... >

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Old 06-25-2010, 02:40 PM

I've been making quilts for Project Linus for the past 5 years. Also do quilts for our local hospital's palliative care unit, veteran's homes and shelters .
Old 06-25-2010, 02:46 PM

I've been making quilts for Project Linus for the past 5 years. Also do quilts for our local hospital's palliative care unit, veteran's homes and shelters .
All are lap quilts 40" x 40", made with a quilting group of about a dozen women and one gentleman who hand sews only RWB quilts for veterans. Some have been sent to the Army hospital in Germany and we've even received notes from the servicemen.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:56 PM

I have made quilts for Downey. Also donated bed size, both twin and queen to Fisher House (Military Rehab),bed size for our local Christian Help Center (transition housing where families can stay 3 mos), baby size tops for our local hospitals beginning mothers program. Many of the baby tops are fairly simple tied quilts. Others are more complicated patterns that I wanted to try but had no original purpose for. I have also made over 150 pillowcases last year for the Foster Kids programs. Not as many this year but I'm still working on them. I hope to donate more to Fisher House this year.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Our quilt guild makes about one hundred donation quilts ranging in size from 30" square quilts for incubators at the local hospital to queen sized quilts for families who have had a house fire. Many of our quilts go to the Abused women's shelter, Youth Shelter, Victim Services, Children's Aid Society, Hospice and the Pallative Care Unit at the local hospital. We also do pillow cases fo ConKer Cancer and touch quilts for Alzheimer's patients at the nursing homes. I lead many of the workshops to construct these quilts as well as make several of my own at home to add to my guild's donations.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 PM

I'm doing Downey quilts, and my guild does quilts for wounded soldiers, the local battered women's center, the local fire and police departments (to use when they respond to a situation where there may be traumatized kids). I usually use a fairly simple pattern for them, like rail-fence or Japanese Brick Road.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:35 PM

I'm heading up a church project for quilts for the Charlotte Ronald McDonald House for their grand opening in Dec/Jan. I've made several tops and and we are going to have a get together for tying and quilting them in about a month. RMH specifically asked for throw size so I try to get close to 50 x 60. I prefer simpler quilts but sometimes I bite off more than I can chew and end up spending time on more complicated ones. The local guilds always have charity projects to work on too.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
Our quilt guild makes about one hundred donation quilts ranging in size from 30" square quilts for incubators at the local hospital to queen sized quilts for families who have had a house fire. Many of our quilts go to the Abused women's shelter, Youth Shelter, Victim Services, Children's Aid Society, Hospice and the Pallative Care Unit at the local hospital. We also do pillow cases fo ConKer Cancer and touch quilts for Alzheimer's patients at the nursing homes. I lead many of the workshops to construct these quilts as well as make several of my own at home to add to my guild's donations.
Shelbie, would you possibly share your suggestions for the touch quilts for dementia patients in nursing homes.
I am interested in overall size and types of materials used. Thank you for your service to others.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:54 PM

I've done a couple of Quilts for Kids, and I'm in the process of making a sampler quilt of Biblical blocks for a church raffle to benefit the Dominican Republic mission that they do every year...
Old 06-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

Quilts for kids. That's my only one.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:51 PM

I make for soliders, I have given directly to several, I volunteer to teach a 3 week(one Sat ea) class for Project Linus, each student donates the quilt they make and I usually donate atleast one also. Just donated 2 baby quilts through my guild.