Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donations of quilts - who does them and what .... >

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Old 06-26-2010, 05:12 AM

Our church quilting group had donated 59 sets of booties, 39 baby quilts, 69 lap quilts, 9 baby bibs, 26 adult bibs, 26 large stuffed animals, 9 small stuffed animals, 18 hospital gowns,27 nursing home capes, 9 baby burping pads, 24 Little Loving Buddies and 24 walker totes and 21 quilts for Romania. Also our local Hospice gave us 10 regulation 3x5 American flags which we backed and tied. They use them to cover the body of a Veteran being taken to the mortuary. It is then returned to Hospice and reused. These totals are for January 2010 to May 15, 2010. We donate to Hospice, a couple of nursing homes and HOPE for Unwed Mothers.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 AM

Warning--this is going to be too long:)

One guild I'm a member of, makes make 'cuddle quilts' for a shelter for displaced women and children. Members of my other guild make them for a children's home in the area. We also make small quilts (and add a small stuffed toy to each), for the members of the local police department to keep in their vehicles, so when responding to calls with children involved, they can give them something to keep with them. One of our members collects really little--maybe 17" by 20"-- quilts to take to neo-natal wards for the teeny ones.

I send all my scraps to a lady in Michigan who makes quilts for animal shelters. She uses any and any kind of fabric/thread/etc, to make quilts for animals in several rescue groups.
rusty
Old 06-26-2010, 05:16 AM
DJ

Our church quilting group makes quilts for Lutheran World Relief. http://www.lwr.org/beinvolved/quilts.asp The senior center donated boxes and boxes of wonky 5" squares, so we use those as much as we can, plus other donated fabrics. They are pretty much large square patches (not too fancy, so they don't go to the black market). My persponal goal is to piece 12 per year. The group gets together three times a month to tie them.

I also donate to Project Linus.

Here's a sample of one of my LWR tops.

Lutheran World Relief
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86959[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-86954.jpe  
Old 06-26-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by smagruder
Thanks, My son is a combat controller and I know they appreciate anything anyone does for any of the military. Do you by any chance know about Wounded Warriors for Special Operations soldiers or Wounded Warriors? They raise money, and have fund raisers for the wounded and family of deceased soldiers.
I would like some information, sounds like a wonderful cause. My Son and Daughter in law are both in the Air Force and I know they have told me anything anyone does for them when away is very much appreciated. I can't even imagine losing one of them.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:31 AM

My neighbor and I have for 8 years or so been quilting 2x/month for charity with a floating assortment of other temporary workers. We have made donations to Project Linus, Red Cross lap quilts for Srs, Home nursing service, foster care children, Christmas"adopt-a-family" programs and "Snoopy quilts" for the ASPCA.
At first, we purchased everything, but now we get a lot of fabric donations, so we buy batting and thread. We use very simple piecing, often with large pieces. For a long while we had one person who tied all the quilts, but she is doing other things now, so I am practicing freehand machine quilting on these. (There's a new challenge for me!)

We enjoy the comraderie, the giving, the chance to "recycle" unwanted fabric by using our creativity.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:34 AM

I try to make a quilt top a week and then meet on Thursdays with a group of wonderful ladies and tie the quilts. We have a constant supply of charities who we donate to. Detention centers, homeless houses, needy families, mission fields, etc.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:42 AM

The quilt guild I'm in donates to several chartities. A homeless shelter, sheriff's dept. (for kids in domestic situations), pregnancy homes, etc.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Operation Quiet Comfort..

Has several different programs, one is the denim larger quilts they send you the signed denim squares and if available most of the supplies ( backing and batting ) to make the quilts. Another one they do are the small lap quilts 30 x50 , you supply everything. They also accept crochet and knitted blankets :thumbup:
Old 06-26-2010, 07:29 AM

I'm working on my third Downy quilt and also gave one to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative a few weeks ago. I'd like to make a Valor Quilt some time, but I haven't looked at the rules yet.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:40 AM

Binky Patrol. We do comforting covers for kids (and sometimes adults) who are in hospitals, foster care, homeless, shelters. www.binkypatrol.org. I am the area coordinator for San Dimas, California. My group does between 20 to 40 quilts a month, mostly quilts, but some crochet, knitting and lots of stuffed animals.