Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donations of quilts - who does them and what .... >

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Old 06-26-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
For those who make quilts to donate to organizations --
what organizations to you donate to?

Do you belong to a group that does them or do you do them on all your own?

What size quilts to you make and how complicated of a pattern do you generally use?
I belong to the American Sewing Quild. Our local (Orlando) chapter has six neighborhood group with a dozen or more members. As ASG members, we are required to do several charity projects a year. We also have an abundance of nursing homes and Ronald McDonald houses. The hospitals also make requests. We sew for all of them making quilts from wheelchair throws and Linus quilts to full size ones for the nursing homes

I couldn't begin to count the pieces we've done in our 26 years of existance. My group of twelve just finished 94 pillowcases for RMcD
Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I belong to a community quilts group (about 25 of us) and we make isolets for the NICU at a local hospital.

I also help piece quilts in my guild.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:12 AM

I make crib size (36 by 48) and domate them to the Church for our out reach program for the poor. Batting I purchase when Hancocks puts it on sale for 40 and 50 % off. With that size it only takes 1 yard of batting. Most of the time I use the 6 1/2" square, half square triangle, arrangeing them different ways and sometimes try out a new design for my own 'fun'. Quilting is done FM----fun and relaxing.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:58 AM

Our church group makes them for members who have had surgery, illness, etc. My Quilt Guild does quilts for children going into foster care. The child gets to pick the one they want. I have made quilts the last 2 years for our local "Walk for Life".
Old 06-26-2010, 12:00 PM

I make quilts for the homeless/poor. I have a friend that is a Nun and she was telling me that there are 12 people living in the woods of my home town. This sadden me for this is America not a third world country. Needless to say I have 9 queen size quilts in the making, some are ready to quilt, some are ready to bind some are ready to suggle up to, but not today it must be 95 here. These are patchwork scrappy quilts. I am also going to make some children quilts, our police department give kids quilts when they are being taken from thier parents and given to DHS. This too is sad. I just hope they like the quilts
Old 06-26-2010, 12:48 PM

I have been donating and making quilts for Project Linus for the last 6 years, have done for QFK's, and my Guild donates to 6 local charities. I am assistant chapter coordinator in Tarrant/Parker Counties and we service JPS hospital, Cooke's Children, Harris, Warm house, CPS, CAC, adn about 15 others. We are one of the larger chapters, We have 82 members and get tons of wonderful donations every month. We also do Snowball Express for the military. I have enjoyed reading how everyone else contributes also. No matter what the cause or who, our motto is "We give HUgs with our quilts". Happy charity quilting ya'll.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Our guild does Linus quilts and once a year we have a presentation to the Linus organization lady. Usually they're just baby quilts (40x40 or so). Some people use cheater panels and they turn out sooooo cute!!! Others try something they've wanted to do but not sure how it will turn out. Sometimes when we have a class a group will decide on a color scheme and pool the blocks. I use a lot of the easy patterns at quiltville.com. The Boxy Stars is an easy one and yet it looks like you took lots of time.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:44 PM

A few of our senior women from church sew together on Thursday afternoon.We make crib size quilts as well as preemie dresses, booties and caps. We send our boxes out about every 3 months. Ours go to Children's hospital of New Orleans and Tulane Children's hospital also in N O, La.
We have two Womens hospitals here in Alexandria and we send each a box for the NICU units. Each box will contain at least 20 quilts.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:10 PM

Nanjun, You have a really beautiful picture. Wish I could look that good in my pics! LOL....
Old 06-26-2010, 03:17 PM

I make Linus quilts and quilts for Wrap-A-Smile as well as Quilts of Valor. I do some on my own and some with a group of ladies that meet on Tuesday afternoons. I always seem to have at least one quilt going for one of these groups. I enjoy giving them to the people who I know appreciate and love them.