Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dryer Fabric Softener Sheets for String Quilts

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    They make unscented dryer sheets. I don't use dryer sheets but I've seen unscented.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I would never use dryer sheets in a quilt because of the stench. Please consider that there are many people who are chemically sensitive, who may not know that the quilt that they received is the cause of their problems. To those who say that there are non-scented dryer sheets, I've heard of too many problems with the dryer sheets causing problems by clogging the filters in dryers and resulting in fires, so I wouldn't use those in a dryer either, and therefore wouldn't have them even available to use in a quilt. If you use these in your dryer, please be extra vigilant checking your filter for clogs, and the path inside your dryer and dryer vent to the outside, for clogs and buildup of oily lint.

I use fabric (muslin or worn-out sheets) for string quilts. I like the suggesting to use old telephone book pages.

I don't use dryer sheets or paper for string quilts. I just sew my strips together and cut the blocks to size with my square or diamond ruler. If I have bias edges I'm careful about handling. If I'm still worried, I starch the blocks before I cut them.

I never use dryer sheets for quilting purposes since some recipients can be allergic or sensitive to them. After discovering dryer balls (can order from Norwex.com or can buy less expensive ones at Joann's with coupons) I seldom use dryer sheets now. The only drawback is that they can make a noisy racket in the dryer....we are used to the noise now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Sews View Post
    I never have used dryer sheets available for anything else since I discovered how great they are for cleaning the bathroom. With the sheet and plain water I can remove grandkid's toothpaste mess, hubby's greasy hand gunk, polish the faucet and even remove toilet ring. Bonus, makes the bathroom smell nice and is much faster than anything else I have ever tried.

Huh. Really? Thanks for the cleaning tip, Kat Sews!!! Will try it this afternoon!

Thanks for the tip of using used dryer sheets as a cleaning rag...good idea..anything we can do to "recycle" in this old world is good. Haven't used as foundation, only because haven't sewn a string quilt in a while, but I'm saving them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    No, I don't use dryer sheets for quilting. Don't even use them in the dryer. I like to use fabric as the base for string quilts.
    First string quilt I used yellowpages as foundation, next time I will defintaly use muslin. I looked up what dryer sheets are made of:

What are dryer sheets made of?
    Dryer sheets are most often made from a non-woven fabric web of fine polyester fibres, although some are made of polyurethane foam.

I guess I would use them if i was doing a wallhanging but I prefer not to use poly in my bedding.

Blog Entries
    I use "Seventh Generation" brand dryer sheets (unscented). Allergic to the scented but a while back I learned to wash the lint filter after I've finished for the day. A soft cloth or old baby's brush run across the filter in (Dawn) soapy water works good. Just run under the water and check to make sure it does. I've found the unscented has less residue. The scented oils/extracts are what clogs the filter. I also use my vacuum hose on my dryer to removed excess lint. I missed the tip on using dryer sheets on string quilts but haven't done a string quilt.

I only use them once in a while, to keep static electricity down.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'm with you, Greenhorn. I worry about allergies (my husband!) and skin rashes (the grands!) even though the dryer sheet is contained between fabric layers. I also think how much product can be in the sheets if they feel slimy after using them? Add the smell to the mix and I'll stick with old cotton sheets or paper.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast