Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy way to make 1/2 rectangles ("Bias Rectangles")

I found the cutest stars wall hanging pattern in a book (they're called church-spired stars, and are really pointy with 8 points) and it calls for "Bias Rectangles" which look like 1/2 rectangles to me. I've searched the board, but can't find any info on an easy way to make them. Maybe they're called something else? The pattern says to make them I need to fold & cut on an angle, sew strips, then re-cut at a different angle. I just wondered if there's an easier way of doing this. I always freak out when I'm required to do anything with angles (my non-math brain doesn't appreciate it!). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:

From the description you've given, it sounds like you are cutting the retangles on the bias, not straight of grain. Then once you piece them into the stars, I bet the edges come out as being on grain. Possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    From the description you've given, it sounds like you are cutting the retangles on the bias, not straight of grain. Then once you piece them into the stars, I bet the edges come out as being on grain. Possibly?
    I'm guessing, but not sure? I am using solid prints, and wonder if this is really necessary. Would it make a difference & if not is there an easier way??

Blog Entries
    sounds interesting. post a pic when you've sewn one, please.

The book calls to use a "BiRangle". All I need is another ruler!!

This is a picture of the stars that call for the 1/2 triangle. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

if this is the star that you are trying to make then let me know I have a really good pp'd pattern for them that I found online for free.
    http://www.maryquilts.com/new-churn-dash-stars/ the pdf for the stars is on here it is really really really easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    if this is the star that you are trying to make then let me know I have a really good pp'd pattern for them that I found online for free.
    http://www.maryquilts.com/new-churn-dash-stars/ the pdf for the stars is on here it is really really really easy to do.
    Yepper, thanks!

Hi...looking at them they are the same star points that are in the Tennesse Waltz quilt or The "54-40 or Fight" block
    You can buy a perspect template for the star from Quilt in a Day ( Eleanor Burns) ....I bought it to make the quilt...haven't made the quilt yet but have made some of the blocks and by using the template they are really easy to do and the points are perfect.
    Below is a link with a video to show you how they are done
    http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...play.asp?i=702

Power Poster
    Doreen Speckmann called them Peaky and Spike units.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast