Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easy way to make 1/2 rectangles ("Bias Rectangles") >

Easy way to make 1/2 rectangles ("Bias Rectangles")

Easy way to make 1/2 rectangles ("Bias Rectangles")

Old 10-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sahm4605
if this is the star that you are trying to make then let me know I have a really good pp'd pattern for them that I found online for free.
http://www.maryquilts.com/new-churn-dash-stars/ the pdf for the stars is on here it is really really really easy to do.
.... though if the measurements are different, the PP pattern won't be any good for the OPs pattern.

Both of your patterns are really nice!!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 AM

Measure the length and width at the longest and widest points. Cut a rectangle that size then cut in half from corner to corner once. This will give you the long pointy right triangles you are looking for.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews
Measure the length and width at the longest and widest points. Cut a rectangle that size then cut in half from corner to corner once. This will give you the long pointy right triangles you are looking for.
I was wondering if it was really necessary to do the bias ones. Dumb questions, but wouldn't I need to add 1/2" to the finished size to allow for the 1/4" seam allowances?
Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I was wondering if it was really necessary to do the bias ones. Dumb questions, but wouldn't I need to add 1/2" to the finished size to allow for the 1/4" seam allowances?
seriously I would look at the quilt in a day templates...I know they are $14 but they would make your life so easy if you're doing a big quilt...they are so easy to do. Finish up as 3 1/2 square, so the complete star block sewn would be a 9" block, No having to cut templates, add seams or cut on a bias.A real time saver
http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...play.asp?i=702
Old 10-12-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Yes you would have to add the seam allowances. I have done this on several quilts and it works great. Make one sample out of scrap to double check your size before you cut the whole quilt.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

If you read ALL the way through this thread, it might help a bit.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-22708-1.htm
Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 PM

I had this in my files, I hope it helps.The chart also shows how to line up your rectangles when sewing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-270373.pdf (322.5 KB, 153 views)
Old 10-13-2011, 12:16 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hevemi
I had this in my files, I hope it helps.The chart also shows how to line up your rectangles when sewing.
This is brilliant - thank you! I have made what Margaret Miller calls a Blockbender using HRTs and made my own templates from template plastic. Her book gives very easy to follow instructions for drafting and creating very accurate templates. These notes offer some other possibilities that I might try... The challenge with HRTs is that the seam doesn't bisect the corner as with an HST and this is very well explained in these notes. When I first started playing with them, I thought I'd be clever and sew two strips of fabric together then cut out a rectangle from that - of course the seam went through the corners so it didn't work and I lost my points! Doh! But you live and learn! :lol:
Old 10-13-2011, 02:07 AM

Even from your description I started thinking about Doreen and her Peaky and Spike.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 AM

I've just recently discovered the easy way. Use Thangles. Example: If I want my finished block to be 2" then I use 2 1/2" Thangles, so as for a half block, then Open, Press and match the two right sides together, dark to light. Be sure the seam on the 1/2 block is opposite the seam on the thangle for the bias rectangle. Line up the diagonal edges so the Thangle sewing line is exactly on the two oppsosing corners, then sew on the line that is on the two corners. Press, tear off paper and Whala there is your 1/2 bias rectangle.

Hope this wasn't too complicated. You might try the Thangles web site, I think they have one it might be clearer on the instructions than I gave. :?: