Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easy way to make 1/2 rectangles ("Bias Rectangles") >

Easy way to make 1/2 rectangles ("Bias Rectangles")

Easy way to make 1/2 rectangles ("Bias Rectangles")

Old 10-13-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Doreen Speckmann called them Peaky and Spike units.
Yes, I have an article on the Peaky/Spikey units by Doreen earmarked in a magazine at home. If you are still needing help after everyone's input, send me a private message and I'll dig out that article and copy it for you.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:54 AM

Here is a link to a tutorial that might be helpful. These stars are wonky: http://patchworkpie.blogspot.com/201...ar-blocks.html
Old 10-13-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sallyjane
Originally Posted by bearisgray
Doreen Speckmann called them Peaky and Spike units.
Yes, I have an article on the Peaky/Spikey units by Doreen earmarked in a magazine at home. If you are still needing help after everyone's input, send me a private message and I'll dig out that article and copy it for you.
Thank you SEW very much for the offer. I really hate to inconvenience you, so maybe I could give the paper piecing a try first and see if it works. :)
Old 10-13-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews
Measure the length and width at the longest and widest points. Cut a rectangle that size then cut in half from corner to corner once. This will give you the long pointy right triangles you are looking for.
That will give you one-half the pointy triangles you want. You have to cut one with the fabric face up and one with the fabric face down. The cuts have to go in opposite directions.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-270603.jpe  
Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
Originally Posted by Kat Sews
Measure the length and width at the longest and widest points. Cut a rectangle that size then cut in half from corner to corner once. This will give you the long pointy right triangles you are looking for.
That will give you one-half the pointy triangles you want. You have to cut one with the fabric face up and one with the fabric face down. The cuts have to go in opposite directions.
*lightbulb* So when you're cutting you put your two color fabrics right sides together, then it should work, correct? :roll: GREAT illustration, btw, thank you! :thumbup:
Old 10-13-2011, 01:19 PM

THANKS !!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I found the cutest stars wall hanging pattern in a book (they're called church-spired stars, and are really pointy with 8 points) and it calls for "Bias Rectangles" which look like 1/2 rectangles to me. I've searched the board, but can't find any info on an easy way to make them. Maybe they're called something else? The pattern says to make them I need to fold & cut on an angle, sew strips, then re-cut at a different angle. I just wondered if there's an easier way of doing this. I always freak out when I'm required to do anything with angles (my non-math brain doesn't appreciate it!). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:
Eleanor Burns has a new book out called "Barn Quilts" that shows exactly what I think you have asked. Check it out at Joann's or your LQS to see if it answers your question?
Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 PM

.... though if the measurements are different, the PP pattern won't be any good for the OPs pattern.

PP patterns for the needed size can be drawn on graph paper. As many as will fit. I copy them onto PP paper as graph paper does not tear well.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 PM

[quote=Happy Treadler*lightbulb* So when you're cutting you put your two color fabrics right sides together, then it should work, correct? :roll: GREAT illustration, btw, thank you! :thumbup:[/quote]

Yep, that's it. Glad you like the illustration. I always think it's better to make a diagram instead of spending an hour trying to explain.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:24 PM

I've made the Tennessee Waltz Pattern, thought I was smart enough to make my own tempates---NOT! Went to a local quilt store and purchased the real templates and my frustration level dropped a lot.